Arsenal Star Bukayo Saka Toasts Nigeria Super Eagles After Semifinal Triumph Over South Africa

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Arsenal star Bukayo Saka toasted the Super Eagles of Nigeria following their 2023 AFCON semifinal victory over South Africa.

Nigeria defied the odds to defeat South Africa and book a place in the final. Stanley Nwabali was the hero on goal as the Super Eagles triumphed over Bafana Bafana on penalties. Nwabali, who was previously beaten by Mokeona on the spot before the end of regulation time, saved South Africa's first spot-kick by the player.

He also saved another from Makgopa, one of the prolific goalscorers for South Africa at the tournament. Nigeria's Ola Aina was the only player who missed his spot-kick blowing it wide off the post. Kelechi Iheanacho beat Ronwen Williams, scoring the last and winning penalty as the Super Eagles defied the odds to reach their first AFCON final since 2013.

Reactions have continued to trail the Super Eagles victory over the Bafana Bafana of South Africa. Arsenal star Bukayo Saka took to his Instagram account to share footage of him watching the rollercoaster match.

With an eagle emoji and a Nigeria flag, Saka wrote; 'Super Eagles.'

Saka is of Nigerian descent. He was born to Nigerians, who migrated to England from Nigeria. The Arsenal star paid a visit to Nigeria after the end of last season to connect with his roots.

He is one of the most talented youngsters in English football. Despite representing England at the international level, Saka has kept in touch with his homeland Nigeria. He has supported humanitarian projects in the country in a subtle attempt to create impact through his blossoming football career.

The Arsenal star was on target as Arsenal defeated Liverpool to relaunch themselves in the Premier League title race.

Saka had hinted he was close to playing for the Super Eagles of Nigeria but things did not work out as he expected.

Speaking while on vacation visit to Nigeria, he said;

"I will tell you this. I was very close to playing for one of the youth teams in 2019. It was the wish of my father but things happen and you have to live with your decisions. I feel very much Nigerian and nothing can change that."

After passing through the English youth system, Saka made his debut for the England national team in 2020. He has made 32 appearances for the team, scoring 12 goals.