Barcelona Interested In Appointing Ex-Bayern Boss Hansi Flick As Xavi Hernandez's Replacement

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Barcelona have made Hansi Flick one of the leading candidates to replace Xavi Hernandez when the Spaniard exits Camp Nou at the end of the season.

Reports indicate that Flick has been a long-term interest of the Catalan-based club, even before the former Bayern boss became manager of Germany.

It is understood that first concrete talks have taken place, with both parties ironing out their goals, objectives, and terms.

Hansi Flick was last manager of the national team of Germany, managing the 2014 FIFA World Cup champions from August 2021 to September 2023.

Flick served as assistant manager of Germany to Joachim Löw from 2006 to 2014, with the duo achieving excellent strides with the European nation.

Unfortunately, Hansi Flick's time as boss of Germany was wishy-washy, and he was dismissed in 2023 following a run of disappointing results.

His best years in club football management were at Bayern Munich, where he led the team to several successes, and got the team playing an amazing brand of football.

Flick won 2 Bundesliga titles with the Bavarian giants, 1 DFB-Pokal, 1 DFL-Supercup, 1 UEFA Champions League, 1 UEFA Super Cup, and 1 FIFA Club World Cup.

Barcelona have also been linked to Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi, with Joan Laporta said to also be intrigued by the Italian's expertise.

Hansi Flick took charge of 86 matches as manager of Bayern Munich, winning 70, drawing 8, and losing 8, definitely alluring numbers on face value.

If Flick becomes manager of the Catalan-based club, he will have to battle through the coming years without worthy financial support.

Additionally, imprinting his philosophy on the team might take a while, given he will likely have to make do with La Masia Academy products.

Barcelona are in search of a new manager after Xavi Hernandez confirmed in January 2024 that he will be exiting the club at the end of the campaign.

The Spanish tactician said: “I want to announce that on June 30 I will not continue as coach of Barcelona.

“I decided a few days ago, but I think it's time. The club needs a change of dynamic.”

The Spaniard led the Blaugrana side to the La Liga title and Supercopa de España for the 2022/23 season.

Barcelona are at a definitive juncture, and a crucial decision must be made to ensure the club's progress.

Anyway, the La Liga champions sit 3rd on the Spanish top-tier league table, with 57 points from 26 league matches.

They are 2 points behind 2nd-placed Girona, who have amassed 59 points this campaign, and 9 points away from league leaders Real Madrid, who have garnered 66 points this term.