Being signed to Mavin is one of the best things to ever happen to me, Ayra Starr talks about signing to Mavin Records

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Fast rising Nigerian singer Ayra Starr graced the cover of Teen Vogue's latest issue and she talked about growing up, how she broke into the Nigerian music scene with the help of Don Jazzy and how her signing to Mavin Records changed the trajectory of her career.

20230719_185916.jpg

Ayra Starr, born in Benin Republic, grew up in Abuja and Lagos talked about how diverse cultures influenced her growing up and how it is still evident in her music. She told Teen Vogue how she mixes various accents such as Yoruba, French and English in her music.

20230719_185922.jpg

She spoke about how she was encouraged by her mother to post song covers on Instagram to garner visibility. From there, she began to get attention online until she caught the eye of Mavin boss, Don Jazzy who sent her a DM asking her to come to the studio the next day.

She said, "Being signed to Mavin is one of the best things to happen to me as an artist.

I remember the first time meeting him, I was just so shy. I would be in the studio with my brother and if he leaves the room, we look at each other and scream, 'Oh, my God!' But when I met him, he was the coolest person ever. He just wanted to speak to me, to understand where my mind was. He saw that I wanted it so much."

20230719_185932.jpg

She revealed that Don Jazzy gave her the opportunity to explore sounds and make music on her own terms without restrictions. She also talked about him being a great guardian.

She said, "There's guidance, and I appreciate it so much because I don't know everything. My first year recording music, Jazzy left me in the studio and he said, 'Just make music.' He didn’t say, 'Make this type of music or sing about this.' Everything was left up to me and I discovered myself. I feel like I'm still discovering my sound."

Screenshot_20230719-190237_1.jpg

She feels grateful for the opportunity she has to be able to be in rooms where big artists like Wizkid, Davido, Tiwa Savage are and also being able to work with them. She also mentioned speaking with American rapper Nicki Minaj on the phone recently and how her life as an artist feels so surreal.

20230719_185944.jpg

"I feel like I've not really taken everything in yet. It just feels so surreal. I was on a call with Nicki Minaj. She doesn't understand how much I love her. I grew up listening to her. I was like, 'You made me feel confident. Because of you, I could tell my teachers no', she added.