Ben Chilwell Reveals Winning The Carabao Cup Is Bigger Than The Champions League

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Chelsea defender Ben Chilwell says winning the Carabao Cup against Liverpool on February 25, 2024, will have a bigger impact on the football club than the Champions League victory over Manchester City in Porto three years ago.

In an interview, the player said, “The prestige of the Champions League is obviously higher, but I’d say this is arguably more important in terms of where the club is now.”

“With the group we have, such a new and young group, where there have been ups and downs this season, to get this one as a team, as a staff, and with the fans, it would be massive for the club."

“It arguably would be bigger than the Champions League, not in prestige but in the direction we want the club to go. I think this is arguably more important.”

The left back is one of the three players in the Mauricio Pochettino squad who featured against Manchester City to give Chelsea their second Champions League in history, alongside Reece James and Thiago Silva.

Ben Chilwell believes winning the Carabao Cup is going to relieve the burden on them to perform beyond expectations this season.

Chelsea have been extremely poor in the Premier League this season, with 10 wins from just 25 matches. Although they had a good run in cup ties, the club is currently in the Carabao Cup finals and in the FA Cup.

What Ben Chilwell Said About Mauricio Pochettino Ditching Out A Hard Criticism On The Pitch

In Chelsea's previous match against Manchester City in the Premier League, which ended 1-1 despite Manchester City playing the game at the highest level,.

The Chelsea manager, Pochettino, criticized Chilwell for failing to make a good pass to Raheem Sterling in an attempt to score the second goal.

In relation to that, the Chelsea defender said, "There were 60,000 people on the ground, and I still heard him from the touchline. I have always been that character; I feel like sometimes I need it. I welcome it too."

"It doesn’t fire me up; I just expect it if I am not up to standard in training or in matches. I wouldn’t want to be able to get away with it. I don’t welcome it, but I accept it.”

Ben Chilwell Stats

The defender made 265 appearances, scoring 15 goals and creating 28 assists in all competitions. Chilwell had received 26 yellow cards and two red cards so far in his club career.

Out of the 15 goals scored, four were for Leicester City, nine for Chelsea, and two for Leicester City U-21.

The left-back made his national team debut for England on September 11, 2018. He proceeded to make 19 appearances, scoring just one goal in all competitions.