Chelsea Stars' Father Nigel James Lands National Team Coaching Job

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Nigel James, the father of Reece and Lauren James, has unexpectedly accepted a national team job with Grenada following the incredible success of the Chelsea stars.

This shock move comes in the wake of the incredible success of Chelsea stars Reece and Lauren James, who have been making headlines with their outstanding performances on the pitch.

According to the Sun, Nigel, who runs his own elite coaching business, will serve as an advisor to the Grenada national team and will travel to the Caribbean island for one week each month to assist the team at all levels, from youth to seniors.

Grenada's team is currently ranked 174th in the FIFA world rankings, just below countries like St Vincent and the Grenadines and Malta.

Meanwhile, Nigel James’ decision to take on this national team role is a remarkable turn of events for the James family and one that could see them make an even bigger impact on the global football stage.

Who is Nigel James?​

Nigel James is the father of Chelsea's stars Reece and Lauren James.

Nigel James is a former English professional footballer and current football manager who was born on 20 November 1965.

He has served as an assistant coach at Swansea City and previously worked with the Under-19 squad of Tottenham Hotspur.

Nigel is a product of the Watford youth system where he played his entire professional career as a right back for Watford and he's a lifelong supporter of the club.

Following his playing career, he transitioned into coaching and was appointed assistant manager of Leeds United in April 2013, working alongside Brian McDermott whom he had previously assisted at Reading.

Nigel James's impact on his children's footballing career​

Nigel has had a significant impact on Reece James and Lauren James, passing down his footballing knowledge to both Chelsea players and their brother Josh.

Reece revealed that during their youth, he would lead the trio through training drills and exercises.

Reece explained, "Obviously, Josh learned from my dad and then it just passed its way down."

"I started playing because my brother played, and my sister played because I played.

"We all used to play every day together at the park and over time we all gradually got better.

"There was a field behind my house, with two pitches, and every day I’d be playing football, either in the field or in the street."

Reece James' sister Lauren told The Telegraph in 2021 that football was all she ever wanted amid claims that she got into the sport because of her brothers.

She mentioned that she grew up surrounded by football, playing with her brothers while they were pursuing their careers in the sport.

She stated: "All I ever knew was football, football and football."

She gave credit to her brothers for getting her into football emphasizing that they have ultimately led her to where she is now.

She added: "My brothers got me into football."

"Whether it was when Josh was at Fulham or when Reece was at the Chelsea academy, I was there kicking the ball against the fence."

"I’ve always had a football and it has just taken me to where I am now.”

What's next?​

There will be a heavy Premier League clash between Chelsea and Liverpool today, January 31 at 9:15 pm at Anfield.

Unfortunately, Reece James will not be able to participate in the match due to a hamstring injury.

The English full-back sustained a hamstring injury during Chelsea's 2-0 defeat against Everton last year December.

He has been struggling with hamstring issues throughout his career and has decided to undergo surgery to address the problem.

Following the surgery he underwent last month, James provided an update on his condition on January 23, confirming that he is "progressing well" in his recovery.