Cristiano Ronaldo Attacked By Laure Boulleau Following His Comments On French Ligue 1

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Cristiano Ronaldo has come under attack from former Paris Saint Germain player Laure Boulleau following the Portuguese comments on French Ligue 1.

What happened?

During the Globe Soccer Awards in Dubai on Friday, January 19, Cristiano Ronaldo commented regarding the Ligue 1 by claiming that the Saudi Arabia Pro League was comparable to the French top-flight league.

He acknowledged that there was greater competition among the Middle Eastern league teams, despite the Ligue 1 being among Europe’s top five leagues.

These statements did not go down well with the PSG defender Laura Boulleau who has taken a dig at the five-time Ballon d'Or winner by labeling him 'unoriginal'.

Boulleau claimed that Ronaldo only belittled the Ligue 1 because his rival Lionel Messi spent two title-filled periods in the French top level.

The 37-year-old Boulleau argued that the matches in the Saudi Pro League aren’t much better related to those in the French top flight and that Ronaldo's comments were motivated by his 'big ego'.

Speaking on Canal Football Club on Canal+, Boulleau questioned Ronaldo’s selection of the French League above other leagues.

She questioned whether it had anything to do with Lionel Messi’s competition and his two years of play at PSG.

She said; "I was really surprised by his communication. Why tackle Ligue 1? Because Lionel Messi played here? I asked myself the question, why did he mention Ligue 1 and not other championships? I already think it’s not his level to say that".

"I think he played in plenty of other championships, except this one, so I think it sucks. It’s not the championship he knows best".

She added; "Frankly, we watch the Saudi Pro League matches, and I honestly think that’s not true. I think it’s a phrase of communication, of pride. He has a lot of ego. But that doesn’t stop me from liking Cristiano Ronaldo a lot, but I don’t like these kinds of statements at all".

Paris Saint Germain were linked with Cristiano Ronaldo twice, but the French team decided against signing him.

They had planned to sign the former Real Madrid frontman in 2021 and again after the Portuguese International departed Manchester United in 2022. But the club didn't see the two moves through.

However, the former Juventus attacker left Europe for the first time in his career in 2023 to join the Saudi Pro League club, Al Nassr.

He had an outstanding year in the Middle East as he became the highest men's goalscorer in the world by scoring 54 goals for his nation and club side during the calendar year.

Messi also departed Europe at the end of the 2022/23 season and moved to the United States to join Major League Soccer outfit Inter Miami.

During his first tenure, he bagged 11 goals in 14 appearances including converting three spot-kicks in penalty shootouts.

He also missed a significant number of games due to injury problems, especially over the final round of the season.

Cristiano Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia

Ronaldo has continued his impressive goal-scoring form since moving to the Saudi Pro League.

At Al Nassr, the former Manchester United forward has scored 24 goals and 11 assists in 25 appearances in the 2023/24 season.

Who is Laure Boulleau?

Boulleau is a known figure at Paris Saint Germain, as she spent 13 years playing for the Parisians’ women's team.

She was born on October 22, 1986, she's a former French footballer who played for the Division 1 Feminine club Paris Saint-Germain (PSG).

She primarily played as a defender and was a member of the France women's national football team.

Boulleau is currently an ambassador for PSG and a consultant for the French television show Canal Football Club, which has been broadcast on the French television network Canal+ since 2008.

During her playing days, she made 181 appearances, scoring 15 goals.

What's next for Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi?

The two rivals are all set to face each other as Inter Miami will lock horns with Al-Nassr in a friendly Riyadh Cup fixture titled 'The Last Dance' on Thursday, February 1, 2024.

In addition, Ronaldo will be hoping to win his first league title in the Middle East, but his side must find a way to close the gap on runaway leaders Al-Hilal, who are seven points clear at the top.