Eden Hazard Names Zinedine Zidane As His Greatest Player Ever, Snubs Cristiano Ronaldo And Lionel Messi

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Eden Hazard has named French great Zinedine Zidane as his greatest footballer of all time overlooking both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hazard made this assertion during the Obi One podcast hosted by former Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel.

Eden Hazard succinctly explained different parameters of who the greatest footballer might be to different individuals but noted that his greatest player ever is Zidane.

“For me, Messi is the one. Messi is the one if you talk about football. But then people have different opinions on that, Ronaldo is the GOAT to score goals and to bring trophies to the team.

“This guy wow, look at him now he is 39 and will score goals until he is 50, believe me. Me, I am more my style of play is Messi, but for me the greatest is Zidane.”

Eden Hazard played under Zinedine Zidane during his time at Real Madrid between 2019 and 2021.

Hazard struggled to meet up to expectations in Madrid, scoring 7 goals and providing 12 assists in 76 appearances for Los Blancos, before exiting the club at the end of the 2023/24 season.

Eden Hazard during the Obi One podcast also touched on several topical issues including how his move to Chelsea came to be after he met with Michael Emenalo and former Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

The 33-year-old talked about the influence of former Chelsea sporting director Emenalo in the transfer coming to fruition, saying:

“I met Roman Abramovich in the south of France, Michael Emenalo was there and he spoke French to me for Roman, he wanted to give me the keys already to the team, I was like what? Ok, I spoke to my agent and I was like let’s go, Chelsea, this is my club.”

Hazard achieved giant strides at Chelsea, delineating quality and showing his brilliance all through the years he spent in England.

Eden Hazard scored 110 goals and provided 92 assists in 352 appearances across all competitions for the Blues.

Shockingly, the 33-year-old added that Gael Kakuta “talent-wise” is the best player he ever played with.

He said: “In Real Madrid, I play with the best player in the world. For me (Luka) Modric, (Karim) Benzema, they are at top top of the list.

“When you say Kevin De Bruyne, he's top on the list, when you say (Frank) Lampard he's top of the list, Juan Mata for me was top of the list.”

However, concerning Kakuta, Eden Hazard added: “I'm gonna give you one name and John knows the player.

“The only one I was saying "wow" was Gael Kakuta. You asked me talent. Kakuta by far number one. Talent. I mean, talent. Wow.”

Hazard had the opportunity to play with several notable players in his career, including Kevin De Bruyne, Frank Lampard, and Karim Benzema to mention a few.

Kakuta failed to hit it big at Stamford Bridge, having joined Chelsea aged 15 in 2007 from RC Lens with many prospects.

Gael Kakuta made 16 appearances for the Blues, scoring no goal and providing 1 assist, before exiting the club in 2015 after several loan spells, to join Sevilla FC for a fee of €6 million.

Recall Toni Kroos made a statement after Hazard exited Real Madrid with many claiming his stern assertions were targeted at Real Madrid.

Kroos' statement came after he was questioned concerning the move of Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund to the Santiago Bernabeu in the summer of 2023.

He said: “We had another player who came for a lot of money and basically let his career die.

“It was a lot of money, I think everyone would say that wasn’t a good transfer. But let’s be positive.”

Eden Hazard during the podcast shared that he is on good terms with the German legend, claiming: “He came to my house yesterday to pick up his kid. There’s no problem with it, people can think what they want.”

Hazard made 622 appearances in his career, scoring 167 goals and providing 157 assists in all competitions.

He had a successful career, winning several trophies including; 5 league titles, 2 UEFA Europa Leagues, and 1 UEFA Champions League.

On October 10, 2023, Eden Hazard retired from the round leather game, calling time on a career that spanned nearly 2 decades.

Last edited: