Fernando Torres Shares Reason For Working Out With Trent Alexander-Arnold's Liverpool Jersey

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Fernando Torres has revealed why he was recently captured in footage working out in a Trent Alexander-Arnold's Liverpool shirt.

Torres is a cult hero at Anfield despite spending just four years with the English giants.

Fernando Torres wreaked havoc on opposition defenses, scoring goals with reckless abandon and silencing teams with his lethal instincts.

The Spaniard possibly tarnished his legacy a bit by joining Chelsea in January 2011 for a then-British record £50 million fee.

However, he is still loved, admired, and respected at Liverpool for the brilliance he accentuated during his time at the club.

Torres, who looks to be more muscular after hanging up his boots in 2019, shared a video of a boxing workout he was doing while wearing a Liverpool shit with Alexander-Arnold's name imprinted on the back.

Speaking in an interview with Liverpool media team, Fernando Torres explained the reason for donning the shirt which had the footballer's name.

The former Atletico Madrid man said: “I think Trent is a special player for the supporters, (and) also for me as a former player,' he said.

“It's really nice to see young players develop the way they are doing and become one of the main players in the first team.

“I'm sure Liverpool fans love him because he's one of them and he's playing on the field at the level he's doing."

He also explains how similar Trent was to him while playing for Atletico Madrid, having been born in the city of Madrid.

Fernando Torres began his career at boyhood club Atletico Madrid, before moving to Liverpool on July 4, 2007, for a fee of €38 million.

While comparing his time at the Los Rojiblancos to that of Trent at Anfied, Fernando Torres said: “It's similar to what I did in Atletico – from the stands to the pitch and I always felt I was special for the fans.”

He added: “I'm sure Trent is feeling exactly the same. He's a scouser playing for the first team and being important, one of the main players.

“For all of us, he's a special guy. I managed to get his shirt and I like to put it on to do some training.”

Torres had the opportunity to play with several great names during his time in Merseyside, including; Steven Gerrard, Pepe Reina, and Jamie Carragher.

However, the ex-Spain international revealed that he would have loved to play alongside Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Fernando Torres extolled the defender for his outstanding qualities, saying: “I always think it would be so nice to be able to play with him and receive these kind of crosses he does.

“It would be a pleasure to play in the same team as Trent and be ready to head those crosses. I think it could be a good connection.”

Alexander-Arnold has burgeoned into a breathtaking player, and he is widely considered as one of the best right-backs in the world.

The 25-year-old made his debut for Liverpool in 2016, and he has made 302 appearances, scoring 18 goals and providing 82 assists in all competitions.

Trent Alexander-Arnold was appointed as the club's vice-captain back in the summer of 2023, and he has been an impressive leader assisting captain Virgil Van Dijk.

The right-back is currently unavailable for the Reds due to a knee injury, but he is expected to return in the dying embers of the campaign.

Moreover, Fernando Torres, who is the manager of Atletico Madrid's Under-19 side, is expected to play at Anfield this weekend for Liverpool Legends in their clash against Ajax Legends.

Torres made 760 club career appearances, scoring 263 goals and providing 76 assists in all competitions.

Internationally, Fernando Torres made 110 appearances for Spain, scoring 38 goals and providing 11 assists.

The 40-year-old won several trophies in his career, including; 1 FIFA World Cup, 1 UEFA Champions League, and 2 European Championships.