FIFA President Gianni Infantino Urges Lionel Messi To Play Until 2034, When He Would Be 47 Years Old

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Renowned Argentine player Lionel Messi will be 47 years old when the World Cup takes place in 2034, but FIFA President Gianni Infantino has proposed that the ex-Barcelona legend can play in the competition.

Argentina are the holders of the prestigious World Cup trophy as they defeated France 4:3 on penalty to take home the coveted trophy.

The 12-time Ballon d'Or winner played a crucial role in his country's lead-up to the final.

He and his ex-PSG teammates put on a show as they both scored a brace in the final.

The match was a thrill to watch as millions of Messi's faithful wanted to see their goat claim the only trophy that has eluded him throughout his decorated career.

The former Barcelona number 10 would not forget the Qatar 2023 World Cup in a hurry due to the various heartbreaks he incurred during the 2014 World Cup defeat to Germany. And also the Copa America defeats to Chile.

Most football lovers anticipated that would be his last dance in the competition when quizzed on the possibility of seeing Lionel Messi play in the 2034 World Cup.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino seems to suggest that the Argentine should continue to play on for as long as possible.

The question was asked by an Argentine journalist when Infantino was attending a CONMEBOL Legends event.

He then said: 'I want Messi in the next World Cup, the one that follows, and the one in 2034 as well,’ Infantino told DSports. ‘As long as he wants’.

Gianni Infantino's suggestions come as a shock to many, because after the 2023 Qatar World Cup the Argentine, Lionel Messi seems to suggest that it would be his last time playing in the prestigious tournament.

'I think not. [Qatar] was my last World Cup,' Messi had told the Efe News Agency,

'I'll see how things go, but as it is right now, no, I won't go to the next World Cup.'

Although the World Cup winner who has gotten to the World Cup final on two occasions, would definitely love to be there.

'I've already said it still seems a long way away,' Messi said in September.
'Yes, my goal is to play in the Copa America, which is also here in the United States and next year. After, we'll see.'

But at the age, he's currently in and the influx of New generation talent like Pedri, Bellingham, Mbappe, and Haaland, the Argentine will feel this would be a better time to call it quit on his international career.

But if we hold meaning to the suggestion of FIFA president Gianni Infantino, then we might all be in for a shock to see a 47-year-old Messi dore the famous white and blue Argentina jersey.

The World Cup will be hosted by Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay with each country hosting a match at the 2030 tournament to mark the World Cup's centenary, with Spain, Portugal, and Morocco set to host the remainder of the event.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia are set to be confirmed as the host of the 2034 FIFA World Cup after being the only country to bid for the rights to host the Mundial.