Former Liverpool Captain Jordan Henderson Tags Anfield Exit As “Best Decision”

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Jordan Henderson has maintained that he has no regrets over departing Liverpool and he has wished Jurgen Klopp all the best for the remainder of his stay at the club.

Henderson is hoping that Klopp achieves a “fairytale” ending, with the Reds vying to win four trophies before the German leaves at the expiration of the campaign.

Jordan Henderson has shared that even though leaving Liverpool hurt him, it was the “best decision” for all parties and for Jurgen Klopp to rejig his squad for the new campaign.

The Englishman signed for Saudi Arabian side Al Ettifaq in the summer of 2023 before abruptly ending his ties with the club to join Ajax on a two-and-a-half-year deal in January 2024.

Henderson captained Liverpool to several successes, including; 1 UEFA Champions League, 1 Premier League, and 1 FA Cup.

The 33-year-old spent 12 years at Anfield and was a pivotal player in Jurgen Klopp's setup.

Jordan Henderson claimed he sees his former teammates at Liverpool “like best friends and brothers”.

The midfielder also expressed that he was not as surprised by news of Klopp’s departure “as everyone else”.

Speaking in a presser ahead of Ajax's UEFA Europa Conference League last 16 meeting with Aston Villa, Henderson said:

“I just hope the end of the story is a fairytale for him and the boys and the club because they all deserve it."

Jordan Henderson also noted how tough the previous campaign was for the Reds, and indicated that he is proud of their performances this term.

The former Sunderland man said: “Last season was so tough on many different aspects of it, off the field, on the field, so for this season to be going as well as it has, I’m so proud of them.

“I was the captain for a long time there and all of the team still feel like my best friends, they are my brothers for life, really.”

When questioned regarding his exit and if he could have been an influential player for Liverpool this season, he said:

“Not really … I think it was the right time for me as a player but also for them as a team and for them as a club, as much as that hurt at the time.

“I was very emotional. Looking back in that period of time, looking back now, it is easy to see that it was the right decision made by the manager and the club.”

Jordan Henderson joined Liverpool from Sunderland on July 1, 2011, for a fee of €18 million.

He made 492 appearances for the Merseyside-based club, scoring 33 goals and providing 61 assists in all competitions.

Henderson is lauded for his leadership, versatility, and physicality, alongside his ability to come up clutch when his side is in a difficult phase.

The midfielder couldn't adapt to life in Saudi Arabia when he moved to Al Ettifaq in the summer of 2023, and as such he opted for a return to Europe.

Jordan Henderson has made 5 appearances for the Dutch giants, scoring no goal and providing no assist in all competitions.