Former Portugal Manager Reveals Why He Benched Cristiano Ronaldo During 2022 World Cup

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Fernando Santos, former Portugal manager has revealed the reasons why he decided to bench captain Cristiano Ronaldo in the 2022 FIFA World Cup knockout games.

The 69-year-old insisted that it was a tactical and technical decision to bench the five-time Ballon d'Or winner.

Fernando Santos dropped Ronaldo to the bench during Portugal's victory over Switzerland in the Round of 16.

Goncalo Ramos's outstanding hat-trick against the Swiss in a 6-1 win, which powered Portugal to the quarterfinals, persuaded the manager to stick to the striker, with Ronaldo again left out of the starting line-up for the quarter-final against Morocco.

However, things got out of hand for the coach as Morocco shocked his side by a 1-0 lead in the first half.

The former Real Madrid frontman was eventually brought on in an attempt to overturn a 1-0 deficit but it was too late as Walid Regragui's men were solid in defense and kept Portugal at bay to knock them out of the tournament.

Fernando Santos's decision sent shockwaves across the world of football.

Talking about the decision at his unveiling as new Besiktas manager, Santos said; "It was a tactical and technical decision".

"There was no other situation. Strategic decisions are always the most important thing for me. I had to make these decisions and I made them correctly. If we had not been eliminated from the World Cup, there would have been no problem".

He added; "I told him that he was not going to start in the Round of 16. He was not happy with the conversation, as is normal. But I assure you that he never wanted to leave".

Meanwhile, Ronaldo has seen a rejuvenation in form under new manager Roberto Martinez.

The five-time UEFA Champions League winner has bagged 10 goals in nine matches in Euro 2024 qualifiers.

However, his relationship with Santos appears to still be splintered, with the former Portugal manager having earlier revealed that the forward has axed him since the 2022 World Cup.

What's next?

The 38-year-old is undoubtedly in fine form since the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar and has been outstanding for Al Nassr ending 2023 as the highest goalscorer in the world above the likes of Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappe.

Ronaldo will be seen next in action when Al Nassr faces China's side Shanghai Shenhua in a friendly match on Wednesday, January 24.