Gerard Pique Set For Shocking Return To Football

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Gerard Pique is set for a shocking return to football, just over a year after retiring from the round leather game.

Pique retired from football in November 2023, bringing an end to his about 2-decade-long football career.

Gerard Pique is apparently still intrigued with football and it appears like he will be making a return to football sooner rather than later.

Like many ex-footballers, Pique is also considering going into management and a deal looks to be already on the cards.

However, Gerard Pique has chosen to be secretive about the information concerning the deal.

The 36-year-old has shared that he is waiting for the right moment, before dishing out the ones and twos regarding his new coaching job.

Taking to X (formerly known as Twitter), Pique, expressed that he had missed the game greatly.

He wrote: “It’s a new year, and after thinking carefully, I have decided to return to football. I miss it a lot. This time it won’t be as a player.

“It will be as a coach. I’ll share more details at the end of the week.”

Reports indicate that Gerard Pique's return to football via a managerial role could be at Barcelona, possibly with the junior teams of the Spanish club.

This could see him work alongside a former teammate at club and national team level, Xavi Hernandez, with the two players having a healthy relationship during their playing career.

However, there are also reports claiming that he could take up a coaching role in his pioneered seven-aside Kings League.

Despite the uncertainty regarding where his return to football through management could be, Gerard Pique did promise that he would one day return to FC Barcelona.

The Spaniard wrote: “In life, when you get older, you realize that sometimes to love is to let go.

“I'm convinced that I’ll be here again in the future."

Pique also added that his leaving the club and retiring from football wasn't a “goodbye”, as he loves the club wholeheartedly.

Gerard Pique wrote: “I love Barca. That's why I consider it the right moment to go.

“This is not a goodbye. I was born here, I’ll die here.”

Gerard Pique grew through the ranks of Barcelona, before beginning his professional football career at Manchester United.

Pique joined the Red Devils on July 1, 2004, for a fee of €5.25 million, and he made just 23 appearances for the club, scoring 2 goals and providing 1 assist in all competitions.

The 36-year-old was loaned to Real Zaragoza on August 4, 2006, where he made 28 appearances, scoring 3 goals and providing no assist in all competitions.

Gerard Pique ultimately returned to Barcelona on July 1, 2008, and it was at the Blaugarana club that he experienced his career grow to astronomical heights.

He made 616 appearances for Barcelona, scoring 53 goals and providing 13 assists in all competitions.

The 36-year-old won several trophies during his trophy-laden playing career, including; 10 league titles, 4 UEFA Champions League titles, and 3 FIFA Club World Cup.

Meanwhile, Gerard Pique was also amongst the squad of Spain that won the 2010 FIFA World Cup title in South Africa, defeating the Netherlands 1-0 in the final.

Pique made 102 appearances for Spain, scoring 5 goals and providing 2 assists in all competitions.