I am African but I don't make Afrobeat, Wizkid says

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Hamot Yusuf

Jun 1, 2023
Lagos, Nigeria

I am African but I don't make Afrobeat, Wizkid says​

Wizkid-2.jpg

Singer Ayo Balogun aka Wizkid went on a ranting spree clarifying the kind of music he makes which he called a fusion of sounds. He ordered people not to classify his music under Afrobeats as that seemed like a box created to conceal the true beauty of his songs. He claimed he is an artist with the free will to explore all sorts of music genres so people shouldn't just label him an Afrobeat singer. He is a singer who makes real music and not just afrobeats.

Wizkid said, "I've made songs from different genres of music. Made in Lagos is not an Afrobeats album. That's a fusion of different sounds. Real music! The word Afrobeats was made by y'all to put all we make into one box. Fela creates Afrobeat. I make all sorts of music. Fusion of sounds! "I'm an artiste" before anything else. True to my art. Not scared to try shit. Now y'all drink some milk."

All.of this is to give his fans a hint about what to expect in his new album MORAYO. The singer already warned those who like listening to Afrobeats not to download his new album because it isn't Afrobeats.

Last edited: