I didn't expect Future to sample my song - Tems

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Nigerian singer Temilade Openiyi popularly known as Tems has revealed that she didn't expect American rapper Future to sample her song.

img_1698772042980_1.jpg

Tems said having her song sampled by Future was a creative experience because she had never imagined herself on a trap song.

She said she wasn't even expecting her song to be sampled at this stage of her career. She added that only great artists like Sade get sampled and she is still in awe because she is so young.

"That was crazy. I've never heard myself in a trap song and I didn't expect to be sampled at a young age. Who am I? I would sample Sade. People sample the greats. The fact that this happened is incredible.", Tems expressed.

It came as a surprise and a formidable feat when Nigerian singer and Oscars nominee Tems song "Higher" which was released off her For Broken Ears EP in 2020 was sampled on American rapper Future Grammy Award winning song "Wait For You" featuring Drake.

The "Higher" sample made the song a widespread success across the world. "Wait For You" topped international music charts including Billboard Hot 100 earning Tems her No. 1 entry into the Billboard Top 10 countdown.

This song also earned Tems her first Grammy Award in 2023 for the Melodic Rap Performance category among many other achievements.