I spend up to 100 million to sign a new artiste - Don Jazzy

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Mavin Records label boss Don Jazzy, revealed in a recent interview with YouTuber Fisayo Fosudo that he spends up to 100 million naira or more when signing a new artiste.

Screenshot_20230716-225326_1.jpg

Don Jazzy has various artistes such as Rema, Ayra Starr, Johnny Drille, Crayon and so on signed to his label.

He spoke about the process of signing a new artiste to a label and how it is important to grow the artistes who are new in the industry for them to get used to the music world and how it works.

He said, "If I see an artiste now that I like, off the top of my head, I'm thinking 50 to a 100 million naira in the next one year to actually even get to somewhere.

There's a lot of work and then you have some artistes on your roster already that the moment you start with the new artiste, the fanbase of the old artiste will now start saying you have neglected this one"

He said there are certain things to consider in promoting an artiste. He elaborated that as a label boss, he takes note of the days other artistes release new music. For instance, releasing a song the same day as Wizkid or Asake won't give the artiste the publicity he needs.

"There is a timetable because you don't own the industry. We have release Fridays. We now release Mondays, Wednesdays. There's no more Fridays. You can want to come out on Friday now and Machala is coming out so you have to move your date or you just want to d!e a natural death. Or Asake is dropping. Just move your date", he explained.

When asked if the 50-100 million budget is a Mavin standard or an industry standard, he answered, "It depends. I'm actually being conservative. It could be more than that."

Screenshot_20230716-225255_1.jpg

He further explained that what takes the larger chunk is artiste development and marketing. He elaborated that the artiste's development means getting the artiste from point A to point B.

"Sometimes when you see the artiste, they're not in their finished form. They're still raw. So you go and record in a studio for about one year or one and a half. It does take a lot of money.

From the moment you discover the artiste, you've already started feeding the artiste. From there, you have to be taking care of feeding, accommodation, problems that come the way, my mother this, my daddy this, my aunty that, advances, whatever.", He added.

See full video here:

Video credit: TikTok @trendsoclock