I started taking life seriously when I lost my father - Rema

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Nigerian singer Divine Ikubor popularly known as Rema revealed in a recent podcast interview with Afrobeats Podcast that he once lived a carefree life until his father died.

624852c10558ec346539f5cc1dfcdc2f.jpg

He opened up on how he didn't take life seriously and how he was just living his life as the day came. He said his father's death shaped him, his mood and his mindset.

"It shaped me to be honest. It shaped my mind state, my mood, my mindset. There was a point in time I was very colorful I will say. Within me, I was running around, very unserious.

I never took life seriously until I lost my dad and it just showed different sides of people. It just showed the importance of family as well. As siblings, we might have our fights, we might have our quarrels but you never know when you'll not see them again - the people you're closest to.

Resizer_16835364758931.png

Rema was also asked if he ever knew or felt that he would become one of the biggest Nigerian superstars.

This was his response:

"Yes, I always did. I always knew I was on to something but there were sometimes when I was so uncertain. That uncertainty actually made the journey sweeter and a little bit tough at the same time.

But you know, it didn't really work according to what I expected it to go. It was quite different for me but you know, I made it here because I always believed I'd be here but I just didn't know how to be here to be honest.

20230703_093921.jpg

When I made that freestyle, I was at the point where I actually gave up on music. I was like, 'lemme just give this one last try.'

The Rema freestyle EP was Rema's first body of work released in 2019. This project ushered him into the beginning of his musical career.

Video credit: Twitter @adesope_olajide
YouTube: Afrobeats Podcast