Joe Hart Confirms Retirement From Football At The End Of The Season

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Joe Hart has confirmed that he will call time on his professional football career at the end of this season.

Hart will see out the remainder of matches this campaign before concluding this chapter in his life.

Joe Hart made the revelation in a video shared by Celtic, pouring out his mind and expressing that there is no right or wrong time to retire.

The Englishman said: “As of June, I'm going to stop playing professional football.

“This is something that I've thought about for a while. There's no right or wrong time but the way this club works that I'm playing at at the moment there's so much on it.”

The former West Ham United goalkeeper added that he had spoken with Celtic boss Brendan Rogers and goalkeeper coach Stevie Woods that he needed to share the information publicly.

He said: “I've had conversations with the club, with Brendan (Rodgers), with Stevie Woods. That if we get the message out it leaves one less thing that people need to speculate over.”

The 36-year-old joined Scottish giants Celtic in 2021 from Tottenham Hotspur for a fee of €1.2 million.

He has made 138 appearances since he arrived in 2021, keeping 59 clean sheets in the process.

Joe Hart has won 2 Scottish League titles, alongside the Scottish Cup and two Scottish League Cups.

Meanwhile, Hart made 75 appearances for the national team of England, keeping an impressive 43 clean sheets and appearing at the 2014 World Cup and two European Championships.

The ex-Torino shot-stopper began his career at Shrewsbury, and he had an impressive career playing for several notable clubs, including; Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur, Burnley, and West Ham United.

He made 348 appearances for the Cityzens during his stay in the Northern part of England, keeping 137 clean sheets.

Joe Hart has won several trophies in his about 2-decade-long career, including; 2 Premier League titles, 1 FA Cup, and 2 Carabao Cups.

The 36-year-old is considered one of the best goalkeepers of his generation, but his inability to switch from an orthodox goalie to a modern goalkeeper resulted in him leaving Manchester City following the arrival of Pep Guardiola in 2016.

Hart became the third choice in goal after Guardiola moved to the Etihad, with the Spaniard preferring goalkeepers, who could keep control of the ball better and distribute it effectively.

Pep Guardiola signed Claudio Bravo in 2016 to man the post for the Cityzens, however, the Chilean also couldn't cut it at Manchester City, making several high-profile and notable errors during the 2016/17 season.

He was dropped to the bench for Willy Caballero, before the Manchester-based club opted to sign Ederson Moraes from Benfica in 2017, with the team seemingly experiencing some comfort in that department following the acquisition of the Brazilian.