Jose Mourinho Insists Manchester United Still Have The Same Problems He Complained About Before 2018

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Jose Mourinho recently indicated in a podcast hosted by former Chelsea player John Obi Mikel that certain factors, both players and non-players, are still with the Manchester United team, causing struggles he had previously complained about during his managerial tenure.

Mourinho emphasized that these figures were highlighted as detrimental to the club's advancement and overall progression, a caution he had communicated early in his time at the helm of the team.

Despite his warnings, the influence of these individuals, largely overseen by the Glazers Family, remained prevalent within the club's structure.

The Portuguese coach, who managed the club from 2016 to 2018, notably secured the Europa League and Carabao Cup during his initial season.

Subsequently, United clinched second place in the Premier League under his guidance, finishing behind Pep Guardiola's Manchester City.

However, Mourinho's third season saw an abrupt conclusion with his dismissal in December 2018 due to a string of unsatisfactory results.

Reflecting on his tenure at Manchester United, Mourinho outlined how his coaching approach had undergone alterations during his time there.

He recalled an incident where substituting a player at halftime led to accusations of bullying from the player's agent, prompting a shift in his tactics and interactions within the team.

Speaking during the Obi One Podcast, Mourinho said: "At Manchester United, I changed a player at half-time... his agent was then accusing me of bullying.

"I had to change. I remember these times, and I laugh about these times, but it's different times."

Following Mourinho's departure, Manchester United's performance has been notably subdued.

Their sole triumph since then came in securing the Carabao Cup earlier this year.

Presently, the team sits seventh in the Premier League standings under the leadership of manager Erik ten Hag, with an unexpected early exit from the UEFA Champions League group stage.

Despite the contentious conclusion to his stint at Manchester United, Mourinho expressed his appreciation for the fans' ongoing support.

Recalling an instance when the entire stadium applauded and sang in recognition of his contribution, attributing it to his dedicated efforts during his tenure

He said: "The fans know how much I love the club and I went there (Old Trafford) once with Sky, I was in the box and the whole stadium turned to me applauding and singing for me.

"If that happens when I go to Inter, Madrid, Porto, or Chelsea, you say, 'Okay this is because of everything we won'.

"But when you got to Man United, a club with that history and they do that for a coach, who won a Europa League, a cup, a second position, and a Charity Shield, you arrive at the conclusion they know that I gave everything that I could."

However, the Portuguese manager had a positive comment about Manchester United's current CEO Richard Arnold whom he claimed he loved working with during his tenure at Old Trafford.

Mourinho added: "Man United still have a CEO who is an amazing person, that’s Richard Arnold.”

"I had him as a Commercial Director, not a CEO, and I would love to have had him on my side in my time there, but the club wasn’t easy".