Jose Mourinho Strongly Refutes Claims Of Choosing Career Best XI

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Jose Mourinho has vehemently refuted recent reports claiming that he selected his ultimate starting 11 from his illustrious managerial career.

Renowned as "The Special One," Mourinho has had successful spells at various clubs including Chelsea (twice), Porto, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, and Manchester United.

Mourinho, who is currently head coach at Serie A side Roma, was said to have appeared on The Obi One podcast, run by his former Blues midfielder John Obi Mikel.

The media outlet posted an image of Mourinho's 'all-time XI' on Tuesday, which was quickly shared far and wide.

Dismissing the circulating news as untrue, Mourinho asserted that such a selection never occurred and he would never partake in such an exercise.

The speculation arose following an image shared by a media outlet, supposedly showcasing Mourinho's “all-time XI”.

This lineup comprised eight Chelsea legends, Mesut Ozil and Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid, and former Inter Milan captain Javier Zanetti.

The rumors intensified after recent discussions about the Roma manager choosing his best XI from players he had previously managed.

However, Mourinho swiftly dismissed these claims, labeling them as "FAKE" while emphasizing that each player he had coached contributed unique qualities to their respective teams.

Disputing the existence of any such selection, Mourinho addressed the situation on social media platforms, mentioning that he never has and never will compile a definitive best eleven.

He stressed the importance of the collective efforts of his players, highlighting their dedication, quality, and commitment across his managerial career.

The Special One expressed his deep admiration for his players and their contributions. He emphasized his refusal to single out individuals for a hypothetical 'best eleven.'

He reinforced his appreciation for the effort, dedication, and skills displayed by all players who had been part of his teams, thereby declining to create such a lineup.

“I never did and I will never do. I've had so many top players, but the most important thing is what those players gave me, Players who gave me everything: quality, effort, blood, and soul, they are all in my best eleven. All of them. That's why I always refused to choose my best eleven.”

He further reiterated his love for his players and requested for the public to respect his history and the players who have played under him.

Jose Mourinho added: "I love my players, I respect my players. Fake News. please respect my history and respect my boys."

In a firm message to address the circulating rumors, Mourinho emphasized the importance of acknowledging the collective efforts of all his players rather than singling out a select few.

Meanwhile, Jose Mourinho's contract is set to expire at the end of June 2024 and the Portuguese is the only one who knows his next step in his footballing journey, with the ex-Chelsea man once hinting about his desire to coach in the Saudi pro league.

His Roma side takes on high-flying Bologna in the Seria A on Sunday, December 17, 2023, but the Gillarossi are also on a purple patch as they are on a six-game unbeaten streak.