Kevin De Bruyne wins PFA's Best Player award

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

LagosBwoi

Mar 16, 2021
Lagos
TWITTER
_ahyorhinde_
skysports-kevin-de-bruyne-fran-kirby_5407097.png

Manchester City's midfield maestro, Kevin De Bruyne wins the Professional Football Association PFA Best player award for the second year running.

De Bruyne's fellow teammate, Phil Foden was also crowned the Young Player of the year, ahead of Chelsea's Mason Mount.

De Bruyne won the award ahead of fans' favorite, Harry Kane of Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes. Also, ahead of his teammates Phil Foden, Ruben Dias, and Ilkay Gundogan. The Manchester team experienced a good run of form this year, which indeed helped in cementing their position at the top of the English Premier League log.

He won the award in style, as the third player to have won it in consecutive seasons, after Thierry Henry and former Manchester United five-time Ballon D'Or winner, Christiano Ronaldo. Although, Kevin De Bruyne was limited to just 25 premier league starts and recorded six goals.

1322182240.0.jpg
In the women category, Chelsea's Fran Kirby was crowned the Women Footballer of the year, at the back of winning the Football writers award, last week. Kirby led Chelsea's female team to the Super League title, as they retained the title. The Chelsea team, which was unable to beat the Barcelona Femini team in their first UEFA women's Champions League final appearance, going down 4-nil to the Spanish champions finished the season with a treble.

Kirby said, "I think what we've achieved has been incredible, so I'm really proud to be a part of it," she said.

"Hopefully, I will be able to come back into the same kind of position I came into last year. I have been playing like I love the game again and when I enjoy it, that's when you get the best out of me."

Fran Kirby pipped her fellow teammate, Sam Kerr to the title. Kirby is also the all-time leading goalscorer for Chelsea.

Manchester-City-starlet-Phil-Foden-wins-the-PFA-Young-Player.jpg

Phil Foden won the young player award ahead of fellow Three Lions counterparts, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mason Mount, Declan Rice, Bukayo Saka, and Mason Greenwood. Phil Foden, who featured in 28 matches for the Premier League champions, scoring 9 goals on the way, edged out Mason Mount, whom they had a face-off in the Champions League final.

The PFA award winners are voted for by fellow footballers. Kevin De Bruyne on being crowned the winner said, "The fact that players chose me for this award means that I have done really well. You want to win all the trophies with the team and this is probably the most important one as an individual in the league. To be voted by your competitors, by players who you compete with in every game - for them to choose you says a lot."

Adding a Champions League medal to his laurel would have being the icing on the cake for him but was denied the chance by Chelsea. De Bruyne was subbed off in the final after he collided with Antonio Rudiger. He was seen in tears, as he was taken off the field.

"They're the people in my view who know the most about the game. When you have these things you can show your kids and say, 'Look! This is what daddy did when he was younger