Lionel Messi Breaks Silence on Hong Kong No-show as Government Threaten to Clampdown on Match Organizers

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Hong Kong football fans were left fuming as Inter Miami refused to play Lionel Messi in their preseason friendly against Hong Kong IX.

As per reports, expectant fans had paid as much as £100 to watch the match hoping to see Lionel Messi play only for Inter Miami to refuse to play the footballing sensation.

Meanwhile, Lionel Messi's image was used to publicize the match with the organizers of the match, in conjunction with the Hong Kong government, assuring fans to purchase the tickets as Lionel Messi will feature in the match.

Against all expectations, Lionel Messi was benched throughout the game. Inter Miami reportedly refused to play Messi because he was yet to recover from an abductor injury. Meanwhile, the original plan was to allow the World Cup winner to play the match, as the organizers claimed.

The fans who trouped out to watch the match, the organizers, and the Hong Kong government were all disappointed that Leo did not play.

Some fans asked for a refund of their money and the government has threatened action against the match organizers for the miscue.

However, the organizers later claimed that Inter Miami informed them 10 minutes before the end of the game that Lionel Messi would not play. To calm the nerves of fuming fans, the organizers reportedly asked for an alternative arrangement such as allowing Messi to just step onto the pitch for a trophy presentation after the game to pacify the fans but were turned.

Meanwhile, Inter Miami co-owner and England football legend David Beckham attempted to address the angry fans but was booed down after the match.

Amid the jumble and jarring of opinions, Lionel Messi has broken his silence apologizing to the fans and adding he could not actually play the match because he was injured.

“Unfortunately in football things can happen in any game, that we may have an injury. It happened to me.

"I couldn't play in the Hong Kong match, and it was a shame because I always wanted to participate, I wanted to be there and even more so when it came to these matches.

"When we travelled so far and people were so excited to see our matches…I hope we can return and we play another game and I can play as I do whenever I can.

“But the truth is that it is a game that I was not able to participate."

Meanwhile, Hong Kong authorities have threatened to withhold £1.6m of the match revenues from the organizers due to the incident.