Liverpool Boss Jurgen Klopp Doesn't Wish Wataru Endo And Mohamed Salah “Good Luck” In Continental Competitions

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Jurgen Klopp has joked that he doesn't wish Mohamed Salah to progress far into the latter stages of the Africa Cup of Nations, as his side gears up for a herculean run of games ahead without the Egyptian.

Salah will be at the 2023 AFCON representing Egypt and he is expected to spearhead the nation's charge towards their 8th title in history.

Meanwhile, Klopp's statement wasn't only for Mohamed Salah, as his assertions also covered Wataru Endo, who is representing Japan at the Asian Cup.

Japan are also expected to have a good tournament, likely progressing into the final, and that will potentially see Jurgen Klopp be without 2 of his players due to national team engagements.

If both players progress into the latter stages of the respective continental competitions, they could be absent from club action till the second week of February 2024.

Speaking regarding both players and representing their respective nations in the coming weeks, Jurgen Klopp expressed that it would be a lie to say he wishes them good luck at their respective tournaments.

Klopp said: “I said if I wish you good luck it would be a lie, from a personal point of view, I would be happy if they go out in the group stage but that's probably not possible. They can go on and win it.”

The German tactician added that he wished the two players good luck at the AFCON and buttressed the need for them to return in a “healthy state”.

Mohamed Salah is a really important player for Egypt, and his unavailability for action is expected to be felt by Liverpool, who don't have a ready-made option to deputize in his stead.

Salah has scored 18 goals and provided 9 assists in 27 appearances across all competitions for the Reds.

Dominik Szoboszlai was tipped to be a potential option to fill in the void to be left by Mohamed Salah in the coming weeks, however, he has been ruled out for about 2 games due to injury.

Anyway, Jurgen Klopp is confident that his side can fill the vacuum left by Salah, as he indicated that “Harvey Elliott” played there in the Carabao Cup quarter-final when the Egyptian was absent.

He added: “I think we played against West Ham (in last month's League Cup quarter-final) without Mo on that side and Harvey Elliott played there.

“We have different offensive options who can all play that wing in a different way. Nobody else can play like Mo, it is not possible -- we just have to use the boys with their skills.”

Meanwhile, Liverpool return to action on Sunday, January 7, 2023, facing Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in a 3rd Round FA Cup encounter and Klopp will obviously be without the services of Mohamed Salah and Wataru Endo for the game.