Long distance dating in 2022. The pros and cons

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Esther A

Jul 28, 2022
Nigeria
Long distance dating in 2022. The pros and cons

A long distance dating is a romantic or intimate relationship between two partners geographically separated from one another. This means both partners live far apart and are unable to meet frequently.

Why Long distance dating?

Long distance dating has become a ‘thing’ in recent times. Couples can be separated due to a number of reasons and these include work locations, schooling, NYSC (for those in Nigeria) and a couple of other reasons. Couples opt for long distance dating when they want to be together but due to the circumstance around, they need a plan. Communication is important for relationships such as these. It is the key to surviving a long distance relationship.

The Pros and cons of long distance dating

Long distance dating has its pros and cons. A long distance dating has it’s challenges and can pose as a problem but when both parties involved are willing to put in the work, it can play out well.

Pros

1. Technology has made long distance dating easier.

2. Helps to tighten the bond beyond physical.

3. Helps to value the times spent together.

4. It genuinely tests the relationship.

5. Builds effective communication.

1. Technology has made long distance dating easier: Technology has made long distance dating easier: Long distance dating in 2022 has become much easier because of the technology we made available. Voice calls, video calls have made communication between partners easier. Options include whatsapp video call, zoom or Google meet which enable couples staying in different parts of the world to communicate.

2. Helps to tighten the bond beyond physical: this is a process that helps to strengthen the bond of a relationship emotionally and beyond the physical. Here there is need to build trust and effective communication between one another.

3. Helps to value the times spent together: Some couples don’t value what they have until they lose it. Some may get bored of the other person with time. When the couple has been away from each other from some time, they appreciate what they have. There is a quote that says ‘Absence makes the heart grow yonder

4. It genuinely tests the relationship: distance gives the opportunity to test if the love in the relationship is actually genuine. You may not really know if it’s genuine until you are faced with the challenge of being separated.

5. Builds communication: long distance dating builds effective communication in the sense that you may not see the person regularly so there is need to communicate frequently. With this method. You can build a system that works for both partners.

Cons

Apart from the numerous advantages long distance dating has to offer, there are also disadvantages to it.

These disadvantages are highlighted below

1. The relationship may lose its spark: when couples don’t see each other much frequently, sooner or later, the relationship loses its spark. In a long distance relationship, partners may not see each other quite often. This could also happen when one partner is surrounded by the opposite sex more frequently.

2. Long distance dating creates a hole in the heart: in other words, the couples will feel the absence of the other person. Some people may not be able to cope with the long distance, the feeling of being separated from the other person for some time. This often gives birth to loneliness too.

3. Avenue for partners to cheat: when one partner is felling the absence of the other, often, chances are the person will cheat. Come people can’t stay faithful long enough in a relationship talk less of a long distance one.

4. Many long distance relationships don’t last long: when a partner can’t take the distance of the other partner, they may eventually call it quits. There comes a time that the relationship may become demanding emotionally and when one party can’t handle it, they split up.

Last edited:

TimPeake

Jan 4, 2021
My wife and I met in 2019, and our relationship officially began in September 2020. About 700 miles separated us. Every night, we talked on the phone while exchanging blonde ukrainian women. We would see each other once every month. She would travel to see me for one month, and I would travel to see her the next month. It would have failed if communication and trust hadn't existed in the relationship. That's not to say it wasn't difficult at times. Still, the most important thing was that we were both committed to the relationship and clear about what we wanted.

Reactions: Esther A

Esther A

Jul 28, 2022
Nigeria
My wife and I met in 2019, and our relationship officially began in September 2020. About 700 miles separated us. Every night, we talked on the phone while exchanging blonde ukrainian women. We would see each other once every month. She would travel to see me for one month, and I would travel to see her the next month. It would have failed if communication and trust hadn't existed in the relationship. That's not to say it wasn't difficult at times. Still, the most important thing was that we were both committed to the relationship and clear about what we wanted.
Communication and trust
Very important