Mauricio Pochettino Claims Chelsea Is Not A Charity, Warned His Players About Complaining Over Game Time

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Mauricio Pochettino has warned his players to stop complaining about not getting enough game time as the manager claimed that the club is not a charity.

The former Tottenham Hotspur head coach has informed his team that they should be focused and remain positive rather than grumbling over playing time.

The annoyed manager made it clear that appearances are not granted without thought and only those who are willing to help the Blues win right away will be given the chance.

Competition for places in certain positions in Pochettino's selection will be a big deal with summer signings including Christopher Nkunku and Romeo Lavia reportedly fit again after long-term injuries.

During his press conference, the former Paris Saint Germain boss emphasized the availability of Romeo Lavia, who is getting closer to returning to the team after recovering from an injury, while Pochettino declared that his players must be ready to work hard to earn a place in his team.

Lavia is yet to make his competitive debut for Chelsea since joining the team from Southampton in the summer transfer window.

The midfielder has been out with an injury since the beginning of the season.

On the other hand, Christopher Nkunku is also being reduced from the team after experiencing an injury in pre-season and went on to make his debut in the Carabao Cup against Newcastle United in midweek, where he was given a penalty in the Blues' successful shoot-out.

Speaking ahead of Chelsea's trip to Molineux Stadium; Pochettino said, "All of the players after a big period, they are desperate to be involved. Even a message for the player, they cannot make the mistake".

"They want to be involved but we are competing and the competition is serious. They need to train hard every day because they need to be an impact every time they go to the pitch. It's not pre-season games".

"For many things, it is an excuse, for many it is: 'I want to play, if I cannot play I cannot perform'. You need to understand but players need to understand that this is not a charity, that they are going to play... We need to win".

"The environment of the player is also disappointing... I am disappointed to have a player who should be important for us is not helping the team. Maybe I am talking too much but come on, it is annoying me. Not you".

He added; "People around the player, or the player. I am disappointed, the club is disappointed it is investing big to perform and score goals, pay the salary every month if you are injured or not performing. Who suffered for us, who suffered for the coaches, for the club. It is to get the right balance".

Pochettino claims he and the London club have every right to be just as dissatisfied as any player wishing for greater interest.

What's next for Chelsea?

Chelsea are currently sitting in 10th place in the Premier League standings after experiencing a poor run of form since the beginning of the season.

Meanwhile, Pochettino suggested that Lavia could make his debut for the London club when the Blues lock horns with Wolves in the Premier League on Sunday, December 24.