Mikel Arteta Rubbishes Rio Ferdinand's Comments About Leaving Arsenal For Manchester United

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Mikel Arteta has stressed that positive views of Premier League pundits are not given as much attention compared to their negative comments.

Arteta deflected away from attacking Ferdinand's assertions, having been shrouded in rumors that he could be departing Arsenal for Manchester United.

Speaking on his FIVE podcast, Rio Ferdinand claimed in February 2024 that Mikel Arteta would join Manchester United if he is offered the managerial job at Old Trafford.

The former England international said: “Arteta would leave Arsenal to come to Man United, 100 per cent. No-one is saying it's happening, but if Man United, in their wildest dreams, said 'do you know what, Erik ten Hag, thank you', or Erik ten Hag has been poached by Bayern Munich and he goes there, and Man United say 'right, top of our list, Mikel Arteta.”

Rio Ferdinand's statement was laughed at by many across social media, who feel Arteta can't exit the Gunners for Manchester United, given his long-standing relationship with the club.

Ferdinand added: “Arteta is going in [to Arsenal] and saying 'listen, lads, it's been emotional, but I've got to move and got to go.”

Anyway, speaking in a presser ahead of Arsenal's visit to Bramall Lane to play Sheffield United, Mikel Arteta displayed calmness while responding to a question regarding Rio Ferdinand's words.

Arteta indicated that he would prefer to focus on the good work that pundits do as opposed to the negative viewpoints.

He said: “No, I think it’s part of our job that we are exposed to the media, to the pundits.

“And they have their opinions. The only thing is that we normally highlight the ones that are not very positive.

“So we highlight a lot of the time when they say great things, make great comments and great points.”

He acknowledged the experience of Ferdinand but insisted that there is much focus on the negatives than the positives.

The 41-year-old added: “These are things said in a really good way and with a vision of someone who has the experience.

“I think if we do this, it is much better. Sometimes, though, we focus too much on the negative views.”

Mikel Arteta's current deal with the Gunners runs until the summer of 2025, with the Spaniard reportedly keen on remaining at the Emirates.

In January 2024, the former Paris Saint Germain man even had to quench rumors of a summer move to Barcelona, reassuring Arsenal faithfuls of his commitment to the club.

Mikel Arteta said: “That’s totally fake news. What you read yesterday, I don’t know where it is coming from and it is totally untrue. I am really upset about it.

“I could not believe it. I don’t know where it is coming from and it has no source. It has got nothing and I think we have to be very cautious when you talk about personal things to put it in the way it was put yesterday.”

Arteta stated that he is in the “right place”, “with the right people”, reaffirming that is invested in an alluring journey with Arsenal.

Mikel Arteta said: “I am in the right place. I am with the right people. I feel really good about it.

“And, as I said many times, I am invested in a beautiful journey with this football club, with these players, these staff, our people, and there is still a lot to do.”

Mikel Arteta was appointed manager of Arsenal on December 22, 2019, and he managed to claw the Gunners from the dungeons to a glittering position.

The former assistant manager of Manchester City was on the verge of leading the North London side to their first league title in about 2 decades before a mixture of inexperience and confidence resulted in them bottling the trophy.

Anyway, they are still in contention for the league crown this term, as they sit 3rd on the Premier League table, with 58 points from 26 matches - a victory over Sheffield United will put them 2 points behind league leaders Liverpool, who have accrued 63 points thus far this season.

Mikel Arteta has won just three trophies at Arsenal, notably; 1 FA Cup title, and 2 FA Community Shields.