Nashville SC Defender Lukas MacNaughton Defends Horrific Tackle On Lionel Messi

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Lukas MacNaughton has shared his thoughts over his horrific tackle on Lionel Messi in the CONCACAF Champions Cup on March 8, 2024.

Despite apparently sustaining the injury in the encounter, Messi played the entirety of the game, scoring a goal in the 2-2 draw against the Boys in Gold.

Lionel Messi, who was in sublime form before the knock, picked up a shin injury which was confirmed on March 9, 2024, and his return date is uncertain.

MacNaughton, whose tackle resulted in the injury to the Argentine great basically watered down the incident during an interview, saying:

“I've tackled enough players in my career that it is what it is, if someone wants to make a fuss of it after the game or in the game, it's just another tackle.

“I mean abuse is the same anywhere, in person, online, so I mean I'm ready to play, it hasn't really affected me.”

Anyway, Inter Miami square up against Nashville SC on Thursday, March 14, 2024, for the Round of 16 second leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

Both teams are level on aggregate (2-2) and the second leg is expected to be immensely fierce and utterly competitive.

The away goal rule applies for the competition and this means that Inter Miami have the upper hand going into the second leg at their turf in Fort Lauderdale.

Nashville SC lost the Leagues Cup to Inter Miami in August 2023, losing 9-10 on penalties, after playing out a 1-1 draw in regulation time.

The two teams will be looking to make fewer errors, in order not to give their opponents much room to pounce.

Meanwhile, Lionel Messi might feature in the second leg, after being unavailable for Inter Miami's 3-2 league defeat to Montreal on March 10, 2024.

Manager Tata Martino has revealed that Messi was rested for the game, not injured, and the Argentine was also seen in training on Tuesday, March 12, 2024.

This will likely see Messi playing against Lukas MacNaughton again, a battle that fans will be looking out to see how it pans out.

MacNaughton will certainly be hoping not to hand Lionel Messi a rash tackle which could hurt him severely.

Both players will be looking to give their all for their teams, as they strive to progress to the next round.

Moreover, Inter Miami are aiming to have a fantastic season this term, and the Herons will be hoping that the addition of Luis Suarez will lead them to valuable trophies this season.

Tata Martino has the privilege of coaching several amazing players, including; Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets, Luis Suarez, and Messi all on one team, Inter Miami.

It will be interesting to see how they battle through the season, with several trophies certainly up for grabs.