Odion Ighalo Counters Cristiano Ronaldo On The Reason Players Are Heading To Saudi Arabia

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Former Manchester United striker Odion Jude Ighalo has countered Cristiano Ronaldo's assertion regarding his move to Saudi Arabia.

Ighalo stated that Ronaldo moved to the Saudi Pro League due to monetary reasons and not as a result of passion.

The 34-year-old, who ended the 2021/22 season as the top scorer of the Saudi Pro League claimed that the reason behind the massive exodus of players to Saudi Arabia is basically money.

images - 2023-07-28T050805.543.jpeg

Odion Jude Ighalo departed Al Hilal after the expiration of the 2022/23 season as he thought the Saudi Arabian side were going to sign Lionel Messi.

Speaking in an interview with Nigerian journalist, Oma Akatugba on OmaSportsTV, the attacker stated that he has played for “passion” for many years but he is currently playing for money.

The former Granada striker said: “I've played for passion all my life, now it's for money”.

The 34-year-old also said that previously when a player is young “you play for passion” as you wouldn't be bothered about the monetary gains.

He said: “When you are young, yes, you play for passion. Back then, you don't care about money”.

Odion Ighalo expressed that he isn't one of those players who claim they play for passion as it all boils down to money.

The former Watford man said: “I'm not one of those players who come and say: “I play for passion”. Brother, it's money. At the end of the day, it's money.”

The striker then proceeded to speak about Cristiano Ronaldo, who is apparently earn a staggering £173 million yearly at Al Nassr, having joined the club in December 2022.

That figure is known to be immensely higher than Lionel Messi's earnings at MLS side Inter Miami.

Ighalo maintained that Cristiano Ronaldo's move to the Saudi Pro League is as a result of money.

The Nigerian claimed that the Portuguese star has raked in a 100 times more than him but he still opted to move to Saudi Arabia.

He said: “Is Ronaldo still playing out of passion? Ronaldo has earned 100 times more than I have in my entire life and yet he went to Saudi Arabia.

“Did he do that out of passion? It's for money, bro.”

20230728_045842.jpg

This is amid the ongoing conversation which continued to reverberate in the media space regarding Ronaldo's influence to the league.

A certain divide are of the notion that the former Real Madrid forward's move to Al Nassr is the sole reason why players are heading to Saudi Arabia.

However, some are against that thought as they believe most players are moving to Saudi Arabia due to the enticing offers available.

Portuguese midfielder Ruben Neves, who also joined Saudi Arabian side Al Hilal this summer from Wolverhampton Wanderers has also shared the reason why he left the Molineux for Saudi Arabia.

Neves indicated that monetary influence was largely the reason why he opted to leave the Premier League for the Saudi Pro League.

He said: “To give my family the life I always dreamed of for them, this was, for me, the main reason that made me have no doubts about accepting this proposal.

“I have three children and a wife. Taking care of them is my biggest trophy.”

Former Napoli defender, who also joined Al Hilal from Chelsea also said that money was the driving force behind his move to the club.

The defender revealed that the offer was too-good-to-refuse and he is going to the Gulf state for the money.

Koulibaly said: "I can't deny it, I'm going to Arabia for the money. I will be able to help my whole family to live well, from my parents to my cousins.”

Odion Jude Ighalo has earlier indicated left Al Hilal after the end of the 2022/23 season and he is currently without a club.

In the interview with OmaSportsTV, he said: “I’m shocked Messi didn’t go to Saudi Arabia because it was part of why my contract was not being extended. I thought it was a done deal”.

The striker scored 43 goals and provided 7 assists in 60 appearances for Al Hilal across all competitions.

Following the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo to Al Nassr in January, the Portuguese has scored 14 goals and provided 2 assists in 19 appearances for the Saudi Arabian club.

The 38-year-old left Manchester United acrimoniously in November, 2022 after both parties decided to mutually terminate the deal between them.

After Ronaldo's arrival, several high-profile players have also followed his path, including; Karim Benzema, N'Golo Kante, Roberto Firmino and Marcelo Brozovic amongst many others.

Al Hilal delegates were also reportedly in Paris this week to discuss with Kylian Mbappe over the possiblity for the Frenchman to join the Pro League for the 2022/23 season.

However, subsequent reports indicate that Mbappe has rejected the staggering offer which was tabled to secure his signature.

Source: https://futballnews.com/odion-ighal...e-reason-players-are-heading-to-saudi-arabia/