P-Square, D-banj and 2face set the pace for us - Davido says

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Davido.webp

Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke popularly known as Davido acknowledges the impact of the older generation artists including P-Square, D-banj, and 2face in the growth of African music.

In a recent interview, Davido said he is impressed with the tremendous growth of Nigerian music and how it has taken over the world. Davido expressed that the growth has also influenced the Nigerian fashion and movie industry.

Davido said he and his colleagues are currently enjoying the sacrifices made by the older generation and the new artists are going to be bigger and better than them. He spoke about how it took him years to gain international recognition despite having a huge fan base in Africa.

"When I was 22, I did 8,000 people in Paris. Then they were not playing us on the radio. They were not putting it on TV. You can't see it. There's no proof. Now we have companies that are behind us", Davido said.

Davido recalled how his first international deal with Sony Music failed after dropping an EP. Davido said Sony wanted to work with him but they didn't understand his style of music. After a while, he returned to Lagos from the US and made a comeback with his hit single IF.

"I went back home to my original producers. I went back to recording. When I came back to London, I said, 'take this. Drop this and you'll see what happens.'