Police arrest mother for dumping newborn baby in pit toilet

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Esther A

Jul 28, 2022
Nigeria
Police arrest mother for dumping newborn baby in pit toilet

Screenshot_20230831-090921_Gallery.jpg

Officers of the Police Command in Ebonyi state have arrested a woman who had dumped her newborn baby into a pit toilet. This woman has been identified as Nwaedoka Chidimma and she is a 20 year old mother. She is from the Izzi community in Ebonyi State.

She allegedly dumped her newborn baby into a pit toilet and this was in Otuocha community. This community is where she works and it is located in the Anambra East Local Government Area.

This incident had happened on Sunday, August 27th 2023. The baby was discovered and rescued on Tuesday, August 29 2023. Some residents in the are had heard the baby crying from the pit toilet the mother had dumped him in.

A resident in the community had revealed that this lady who was working on a farm in the community had gone to make use of the toilet. By the time she came back, she was dripping with blood.
The suspect had them requested to stay in the house of this resident who was sharing the story for some days.

She said, “Chidimma is my friend, she begged me to stay at my place for a few days because of a farming job she got. She was working on the farm when she suddenly started acting funny after she complained of stomach upset and went to the pit toilet to ease herself. After spending time in the toilet, she came out with drops of blood. I thought she had a stillbirth and I quickly invited a nurse who after examining her, disclosed that the baby was gone"

She continued saying “I encouraged her to travel back home to her parents and notify them of the development because I thought she had a stillbirth. It was on Tuesday when we started hearing a baby’s cry that we quickly used a ladder to climb down the pit and rescued the newborn and immediately alerted security agencies and the Ministry of Women and Social Welfare.”

Mrs Ify Obinabo who is the state Commissioner for Women and Social Welfare acted on this with immediate effect and they took the child to the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Teaching Hospital. The 20 year old mother was then arrested.

Mrs Obinabo shared that the baby is now stable and is being treated at the hospital. She went ahead to reveal that this woman will definitely be punished for such an act.