Pope Francis calls for global ban on surrogacy

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Esther A

Jul 28, 2022
Nigeria
Pope Francis calls for global ban on surrogacy

08vatican-surrogacy-fmqg-articleLarge.jpg

Pope Francis has asked for a global ban on surrogacy. He recently stated this on Monday, the 8th of January 2024. His reasons for seeking a global ban on surrogacy is that the practice of a woman carrying another person's child was 'deplorable'. He stated this during his New Year's address at the Vatican. According to him, its a grave violation of both the mother and the child. He believes surrogacy violates the dignity of both mother and the child born through surrogacy.
Pope Francis is a well-known Bishop. He ie the head of the Catholic Church, the bishop of Rome and sovereign of the Vatican City State. His full name is Jorge Mario Bergoglio. He is Argentine by nationality. He is 87 years old. He was born on the 17th of December 1936 in Flores, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

He was speaking about ending conflicts around the world when he mentioned this. He stated that "The path to peace calls for respect for life." He went ahead to speak about surrogacy and said its an exploitation of the situation of the need of the mother. He says surrogacy implies that the child is a product of commercial contract and not a gift as it should be. Surrogacy is a situation where a woman gives birth to a baby on behalf of another woman. It is legal I many countries of the world. This isn't the first time Pope Francis will be condemning surrogacy. In 2022, he called it an inhuman practice.

In his words "with the life of the unborn child in the mother's womb, which cannot be suppressed or turned into an object of trafficking. In this regard, I deem deplorable the practice of so-called surrogate motherhood, which represents a grave violation of the dignity of the woman and the child, based on the exploitation of situations of the mother's material needs. A child is always a gift and never the basis of a commercial contract. Consequently, I express my hope for an effort by the international community to prohibit this practice universally."

Last edited: