Raheem Sterling Breaks Silence After Missing Penalty In Chelsea Win Over Leicester City.

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Raheem Sterling has tendered an apology to Chelsea fans after he missed a penalty in their FA Cup quarter-final clash against Leicester City on Sunday, March 17.

The Stamford Bridge outfit are through to the FA Cup semi-finals but the former Manchester City star endured a mixed reaction during the game.

What happened?

Chelsea were leading 1-0, the winger had the chance to extend their lead when he stepped up for a penalty after 26 minutes of play.

The 29-year-old took responsibility for the spot kick ahead of designated taker Cole Palmer. Sterling attempted to slot it down the middle but his shot went to the goalkeeper’s right and was comfortably saved by Leicester City's keeper Jakub Stolarczyk.

The England international also missed a one-on-one chance in the first half but later created a chance for Cole Palmer who scored to give Chelsea a 2-0 lead.

After the Blues lost their advantage in the second half, Sterling was criticized for ballooning a free-kick over the crossbar from the edge of the box.

However, Leicester City managed to pull level after the break before two late goals from the Blues ensured they progressed to the semi-finals.

This provoked Chelsea supporters to urge head coach, Mauricio Pochettino to sub the former Liverpool player, and the winger was thereafter replaced, receiving a mixture of boos and applause.

After the match, Sterling took to Instagram to address the club's supporters, he wrote: "Wembley Bound. To all the Chelsea fans, apologies for the penalty miss. I’ll be back 10x times stronger to help the team win and continue to keep fighting for the badge every single day. Let’s go Blues".

Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino also defended Sterling’s decision to take the penalty in his post-match press conference.

He said; "Cole can miss, Raheem can miss, look for me, the decision is there and of course, I'm going to support always, the decision of my players on the pitch, that is about to grow and be more mature and of course, always happy we take decisions".

Sterling has been struggling to display his best form in recent weeks and was left out of the latest England squad.

The Stamford Bridge outfit are through to the last four of the competition but will have to overcome reigning champions Manchester City if they are to reach the final.

Meanwhile, Manchester United, on the other hand, will take on Coventry City in the other semi-final game.

What's next for Raheem Sterling?

Sterling will have a break as he was left out of the England squad for the forthcoming international friendly games against Brazil and Belgium.

He will be seen next in action on March 30 when Chelsea host relegation-threatened Burnley at Stamford Bridge.