Rema wins VMA Best Afrobeats Award, shouts out 2 Baba, DBanj, DonJazzy, and others

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Hamot Yusuf

Jun 1, 2023
Lagos, Nigeria
image-883x1044.png

Nigeria Afrobeat artist Rema emerged as the winner of the MTV Video Music Award 2023 Best Afrobeats Artist. Singers like Burna Boy, Ayra Starr, Libianca, Davido, Fireboy, Asake, and Wizkid were nominated for the 2023 Best Afro Music Video, but Rema's "Calm Down" remix ft. Selena Gomez beat them all.

rema-and-selena-gomez-accept-the-best-afrobeats-award-for-news-photo-1694572300.jpg
During Rema's speech, he gave a huge shout-out to his fans and the originators of the Afrobeats music. He said, "One thing I will not forget to do tonight, is forget to shout out the people who opened the doors for me. Big shout-out to Fela who started Afrobeats in the first place. 2-Baba, Don Jazzy, D Banj, D Prince, RunTown, Timaya, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Davido. And I want to give a big shout-out to the new generation of Afrobeats. We are here to take it to the rest of the world."

selena-gomez-and-rema-attend-the-2023-mtv-video-music-news-photo-1694572134.jpg
Toward the end of his speech, he stepped aside for Selena Gomez to speak and she appreciated his humbleness. Rema is continuously making a name for himself in the Afrobeats music industry both locally and globally.
==

Rema's "Calm Down" remix has gotten over 630 million views on YouTube alone.