Sadiq Umar Clears Air On Why He Exited From Super Eagles 2023 AFCON Camp

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Sadiq Umar has clarified why he exited the Super Eagles squad few days before the beginning of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations via a statement released on Thursday, January 18.

What happened to Sadiq Umar?

Sadiq made Jose Peseiro’s 25-man squad for the Africa Cup of Nations. He was one of the star players expected to shine at the tournament in Ivory Coast.

Just before the AFCON, the 26-year-old was in colorful form, scoring two goals for his club side.

Unfortunately, before the start of AFCON, the Real Sociedad hitman was suspected to have picked up a knee injury in Nigeria's friendly game against Guinea.

After a proper medical test by the Nigerian medical team, a decision was made that the Super Eagles striker would not be fit enough for AFCON. Eventually, Peseiro called up Trabzonspor star Paul Onuachu to take his place.

However, the 26-year-old was seen back in training with his club side not long after he departed the camp, he went ahead to participate in the Spanish side's victory over Osasuna in the round of 16 Copa del Rey which has created confusion about what happened.

This provoked a serious discussion amongst Nigerian fans, the NFF, and manager Peseiro, especially after the coach declared that he only followed what the Super Eagles medical team told him.

The former Almería frontman has taken to social media to tell his side of the story which is in line with that of the NFF Communication department, but added that after he was examined by Real Sociedad's medical team, it was discovered that he had suffered a bruise and not a knee injury.

He also added that he is dedicated to playing for Nigeria and not that he faked an injury to miss AFCON. He also congratulated his international teammates for their recent triumph over the host of the 2023 AFCON, Ivory Coast.

What Sadiq Umar said

Sadiq Umar wrote; "I must address the message I have received from fellow Nigerians, accusing me of pretending to be injured to leave the national team just before the start of the AFCON and return to my club".

"Here is a comprehensive explanation of the situation during the friendly game against Guinea. I experienced a significant impact from two Guinean defenders leading to a penalty in the favour of Nigeria".

"Despite the medical team recommending substitution for preventive measures, I insisted on continuing to play and complete the game. The following day, my knee was swollen and the Eagles medical team conducted a thorough examination revealing a meniscus injury".

"The manager decided to replace me based on the medical assessment, considering uncertainties about my fitness for the AFCON".

"Upon returning to my club, I underwent a thorough examination and the medical team revealed that I had only suffered a bruise and as a result, I was cleared to resume training. I give special thanks to Allah and my club Real Sociedad for supporting my swift recovery and resuming play".

He added; "Representing Nigeria is always my priority. I will never take it for granted. I would gladly accept it if I could return to the team. I am sad that I’m not with the team but happy for the winning. I extend my best wishes to the Eagles in the ongoing AFCON".

What's next for Sadiq Umar?

Sadiq is predicted to return to the starting lineup, as Real Sociedad returns to La Liga action this weekend, with a trip to Celta Vigo On Saturday, January 20.

Last edited: