Singer Adekunle Gold reveals how he came about his new persona Tio Tequila

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

queeny

Jun 1, 2023
Following the release of his fifth studio album Tequila Ever After, Adekunle Gold lets us into his world of music on Native Mag latest issue and how he built himself over the years from a nerdy and introverted boy next door to a confident popstar Tio Tequila.

Screenshot_20230727-181955_1.jpg

Adekunle Gold's brand and sound has evolved over the years from when he dropped his debut album Gold in 2016. The Gold album shot him into limelight with songs like Sade, Orente in it which was a blend of romantic and feel good tunes.

Still maintaining his boy next door persona, he released his second studio album in 2018 titled About 30. This gave a reflection of life and had a relatable and everyday vibe with songs like Damn Delilah, Ire, and Money.

20230727_192416.jpg

In 2020, The AG Baby era began and Adekunle Gold released Afro Pop Vol.1. Since then, he has infused pop into his sound creating a fresh, unique and authentic wave.

Adekunle Gold, however, reveals how he came about his new persona Tio Tequila. He described himself as a tequila man revealing how he discovered tequila last year in Los Angeles during a studio session with some producers.

20230727_192422.jpg

He stated, "It made me feel good. I wanted to describe the feeling of tequila. The way tequila made me feel that one time. I wanted people to feel the same way with the music. The songs that I made for this album are lighthearted and conversational. They are conversations you have with friends when tequila kicks in."

When asked how he came about Tio, he mentioned that Tio means mister or uncle in Spanish. The combination of both gives the perfect description of his music at the moment.