Sunderland Player Jack Diamond Acquitted Of Raping Woman He Met Via Dating Site

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Adesina David

May 14, 2023
Sunderland winger Jack Diamond has been cleared of raping a woman, who he met on a dating site.

Diamond was alleged to have groped and raped the accuser at the house he was sharing with teammate Anthony Patterson in May 2022.

Based on a hearing at the Newcastle Crown Court, it was said that Jack Diamond had invited the woman, whom he met on dating site Tinder, to spend the night and they had been involved in some sexual activity before falling asleep.

However, prosecutors expressed that the Sunderland man woke up, began to “feel and caress” her, and she asked him to stop but he hesitated and progressed on the activity.

Jack Diamond denied the charge of rape and assault by penetration throughout the matter and was found not guilty of both charges on January 8, 2024.

Speaking outside the court premises after he was acquitted of the charges leveled against him, Diamond said he's keen on returning to football.

Jack Diamond said: “The last 18 months have been hugely challenging.

“I would like to thank my legal team Mrs Laws KC, Mr Derbyshire, and the entire team for their dedication and skill.

“I would also like to thank all my family and friends who have been with me during this time. I now look forward to resuming my career.”

On Monday, January 8, 2024, a jury spent about 15 minutes examining and reaching a conclusion that the footballer was not guilty of both charges.

There was applause from the public gallery after the decisions were announced.

Jack Diamond was asked to sit after the announcement, and he subsequently put his hand on his head and immediately sobbed.

Diamond expressed during the trial that he was the one who rejected sexual advances from the alleged victim, which left her stunned and annoyed.

The 23-year-old told jurors that he grew up in Washington and signed his first professional deal with Sunderland at the age of 16.

Jack Diamond has had loan spells at several clubs, including; Harrogate Town, Lincoln City, and Spennymoor Town FC.

Speaking during the trial, Diamond added that he had made it clear on his Tinder dating profile that he was searching for something “not serious”.

The former Harrowgate Town man said that on the night, in particular, he invited the woman to his apartment to “relax” and “cuddle”.

Additionally, Jack Diamond expressed that the alleged victim “mounted him and got on top of him”.

Diamond said: “We just started cuddling, touching each other. We were both touching each other.

“It lasted a little while then started to get a bit more heated, she mounted me and got on top of me.”

Jack Diamond said that he told the alleged victim that he did not think sex was a “good idea” and this was because he feared things may get more serious.

The Englishman also said that after rejecting the woman's advances she turned away from him in bed and looked annoyed.

The 23-year-old said to pacify the woman he began initiating things and they began kissing.

Diamond added that he then got on top of her but the alleged victim indicated to him that she was no longer in the mood.

Following the statements by Jack Diamond, he was then questioned by barrister Eleanor Laws KC, asking if he did anything to the woman without consent and he reverted: “Absolutely not”.

Miss Laws also asked the winger if he would ever force himself on a woman after being told to stop and he replied: “I would never, ever think of doing that, ever.”

In her concluding statement, Eleanor Laws KC, defending Diamond, said he was “not the entitled, arrogant footballer” who thought he could get anything he wanted based on his status and career path.

Miss Laws also told the jurors: “He is not on trial for being immature, he is not on trial for making mistakes, he is not on trial for misreading the signals about whether he had hurt someone.”

Meanwhile, Jack Diamond spent the 2022/23 season on loan with Lincoln City before his contract was abruptly brought to an end due to the charges leveled against him.

He is also under suspension at Sunderland due to the previous charges heaped on him.

Diamond has made 45 appearances for the Black Cats, scoring 2 goals and providing 6 assists in all competitions.