Tems reveals she was bullied while growing up because of her voice

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!

Esther A

Jul 28, 2022
Nigeria
Tems reveals she was bullied while growing up because of her voice

640px-Tems_on_NdaniTV_Sessions_-cropped.png

Popular Nigerian singer, Tems has revealed how she was bullied because of her voice while growing up. She shared that the bullying had really affected her and made her really feel self-conscious. She stated that she didn’t start speaking until she was 3 years old and even with this, she was very conscious of the fact that she didn’t sound like other girls. She stated that people bullied her because they claimed her voice sounded like that of a boy. She shared this during a recent interview with The Cut.

Tems is a well-known Nigerian singer and songwriter. Her full name is Temilade Openiyi. She is 28 years old. Tems became famous in 2020 after she featured on Wizkid’s hit song titled Essence. She is known for many of her hit songs including songs like Away, Me & U, Free mind, Not an Angel, crazy things, higher, try me and many other songs. She is an award-winning artist. In her recent interview, she shared that she was bullied up till the point of tears. The things people said to her made her feel like she sounded like a boy or a frog.
She stated “I was bullied to the point of tears. It made me feel as if I sounded like a boy or a frog. I had the impression that my voice was ugly. When I make friends, I would try to make them sing my songs but their voices sounded sweet unlike mine.

listen to some of her songs below