Thiago Silva Claimed He Wasn't A Fan Of The Premier League

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Thiago Silva claimed that he wasn't a fan of the English Premier League while he was at Paris Saint Germain in France.

The Brazilian had a fantastic moment during his last match in 2023 when Chelsea secured a 3-2 victory over Luton Town.

The former Paris Saint Germain defender marked his 101 Premier League match and also shared his thoughts on reaching this significant milestone in an interview with ESPN.

Silva indicated that he didn't like the Premier League, adding that Pep Guardiola made him change his mind concerning the league.

Speaking with ESPN, Thiago said; "I wouldn't have imagined that I would come to play in the Premier League one day, it was a football that I didn't like, to be honest. I thought there were a lot of aerial balls, getting up there, fighting there. Despite having impulsion and adapting, I didn't think I would come to play here."

"One of those responsible (for me to play in the Premier League) was Guardiola, his team playing more. Not that (the others) copy, but they try to play (the same way), it's beautiful football to watch."

He added; "From that moment on I was interested, I saw more at home, Chelsea came and I didn't think twice. Living this moment, 39 years, 100 games in the Premier League, I'm very proud of my career so far. I'm very proud of everything I've experienced."

Thiago Silva joined Chelsea in the summer of 2021 and has won several collective and individual honors including the UEFA Champions League, Super Cup, and FIFA Club World Cup under the leadership of former manager Thomas Tuchel.

However, Chelsea are laying the groundwork for another center-back signing this summer as they prepare to part ways with the veteran Brazilian defender.

The two-time European champions are ready to allow the 39-year-old to depart Stamford Bridge for good when his contract expires at the end of the 2023-24 season.

According to reports, it was revealed that in October the Copa Libertadores winners Fluminense are ready to offer Silva the chance to return to his homeland.

Chelsea are planning to replace the 39-year-old by jumping into the market for yet another big-money deal this transfer window.

Silva, penned a contract extension last February but he is now expected to leave at the end of the 2023-24 campaign.

He has started and played 90 minutes in all but two of Chelsea’s Premier League games this season.

The Blues have ordered big-money contracts for Axel Disasi, Benoit Badiashille, and Wesley Fofana in recent windows but are still eager to expand their options at center-back.

According to a recent report on January 3, Chelsea are very interested in Sporting CP defender Ousmane Diomande, who has drawn the attention of several European clubs including Arsenal.

The Ivory Coast international has a £70 million release clause in his contract with the Portuguese club side, according to the transfer market.

It is believed Chelsea are willing to structure a move for the defender this month but are more likely to have to do battle with English and European rivals in the summer window.

Mauricio Pochettino’s side are performing below expectations and currently sits 10th on the Premier League table despite another summer spending.

What's next for Thiago Silva and Chelsea?

It remains to be seen if the Brazilian International will leave the Blues this January or wait until the summer transfer window.

Chelsea, on the other hand, the Blues are next in action in the FA Cup against Preston on Saturday, January 6 before their League Cup semi-final first leg against Middlesbrough next week on January 9.