Turkish referee Halil Umut Meler says he will never forgive Faruk Koca for punching him in the eye.

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Turkish League referee Halil Umut Meler says he will never forgive the former Ankaragucu President Faruk Koca, who heavily punched him at the end of a match in the league.

The referee was attacked by the president after his team conceded a late goal in the 97th minute of the match in a 1-1 draw against Caykur Rizespor in Turkey.

It was also revealed that the referee was attacked for sending off an Ankaragucu player.

After the incident, the referee was taken to the hospital and was discharged on December 13, 2023, with a swollen eye.

Upon leaving the hospital, the referee said, "No, I did not forgive Koca."I will not forgive."

"The person who did this punched me, and I collapsed and fell to the ground.

"But the actual kicking while I was on the ground will be something I will never forget for the rest of my life."

"That's why, in conscience, I will never forgive. I will not forgive in any way; I will never forgive those who did it or those who provoked it. I am saying this specifically: I will not forgive those who provoked it or those who did it."

Justice Minister Yilmaz Tunc claimed Koca and two other offenders were arrested after prosecutors took statements from them.

Koca had been given a life ban by the Turkish Football Federation. Koca, who was supposed to be a possible candidate for the mayorship of Ankara, had resigned from the presidential post after the life ban.

The Turkish Football Federation had also compelled the Ankaragucu football team to play five home matches behind closed doors.

The TFA imposed further punishment, which included $66,000 in fines to be paid by the football club.

Who is Umut Meler?
The referee was born on August 1, 1986, in the city of Izmir, Turkey. He is currently 37 years old, with a height of 6 feet and 3 inches.

On September 18, 2015, the referee made his officiating debut in a match between Istanbul Basaksheir and Belediyespor, which ended 2-0 in favor of Basaksheir.

He has been listed as a FIFA referee since 2017 and a member of UEFA in 2022. In May 2023, he officiated a Europa League semi-final match between West Ham and AZ Alkmaar.

Meler is currently married and has one child so far. He lives in Turkey with his wife and child.

The birth of his child was announced 10 days before the horrible incident in which he was punched in the eye.

The case of incessant violence had been a menace to football in the country. It will be interesting to see the changes that will be implemented in Turkish football following this latest incident.

What do you think about Meler's statement? Air your views in the comments section.