Union Berlin Coach Nenad Bjelica Receives Three-Game Ban for Altercation with Leroy Sane

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Union Berlin head coach Nenad Bjelica has been suspended for three games after forcefully pushing Bayern Munich's Leroy Sane in the face during their recent Bundesliga match.

The altercation took place in the 74th minute when Sane tried to retrieve the ball from Bjelica on the touchline during their encounter on Wednesday, January 24.

The incident ultimately resulted in a confrontation between the two teams' benches.

What happened?​

Bayern Munich and Union Berlin's Bundesliga clash eventually led to a commotion after visiting boss Nenad Bjelica pushed former City star Leroy Sane in the face, sparking a brawl between the two benches on the pitch side.

With Bayern leading and 15 minutes remaining, Sane and Bjelica clashed on the sidelines at the Allianz Arena as the winger attempted to retrieve the ball for a throw-in, only to have it snatched away by the Union Berlin manager.

Sane attempted to snatch the ball from him as he swiped at it, leading to a confrontation between him and the opposing team.

Thereafter, the Union Berlin head coach inexplicably pushed Sane in the face twice, causing a brawl between the two benches.

As a result, the referee had no choice but to dismiss the Croatian manager for violent conduct, while Sane received a yellow card for his involvement in the altercation.

The 52-year-old persisted in arguing his case as he walked up to the stands, where he seemed to lash out at several Bayern supporters before being pacified.

The German Football Association stated that Bjelica, who also received a 25,000 euro (£21,330) fine, displayed "unsporting behavior".

Meanwhile, in a post-match statement, Bjelica acknowledged the reasons for his dismissal and the unacceptable nature of his behavior, but he declined to apologize to Sane.

He said: "When I was in my element and trying to pass the ball to him, he pushed me. Naturally, I reacted."

When questioned about an apology to Sane, he stated: "I will only apologize to my team. What happened with Sané is not acceptable. He approached me to provoke a reaction. I know I did not respond appropriately as a coach. There is nothing more to say."

However, in response to the incident, Bayern manager Thomas Tuchel offered a diplomatic comment, saying: "It's not a good situation. It's difficult to defend him. However, I prefer not to comment further and add to the controversy."

Despite finishing fourth last season, Union Berlin are currently in 15th place and are only three points ahead of the relegation play-off position.

Meanwhile, following a 1-0 victory on Wednesday, Bayern Munich are now in second place, trailing leaders Bayer Leverkusen by four points in the standings.

What's next for Nenad Bjelica?​

The 52-year-old Croatian has been leading the Union since November and will not be present for the team's upcoming Bundesliga matches against Darmstadt, RB Leipzig, and Mainz.