Xabi Alonso Claims He's Focused On Bayer Leverkusen Amidst Liverpool Managerial Link

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Xabi Alonso has claimed that he is only focused on Bayer Leverkusen after several reports linked him to Liverpool's managerial job.

On Friday, January 26, the former Real Madrid player dismissed speculations that he could replace the Reds head coach Jurgen Klopp.

What happened?

Jurgen Klopp made a shocking announcement on Friday, January 26, that he would leave Liverpool at the end of the season, saying he was 'running out of energy'.

The German tactician was appointed in October 2015 and his contract is still valid until the summer of 2026. After qualifying Liverpool for another domestic cup final, he notified the club of his decision to quit.

Klopp said he had already informed the club board of his intention since November 2023.

Klopp guided Liverpool to their first league title in 30 years in the 2019/2020 season, having won the Champions League on June 1, 2019.

He also led the Merseyside team to the FIFA Club World Cup, FA Cup, League Cup, and UEFA Super Cup, as well as the FA Community Shield during his nine-year spell at Anfield.

Following Klopp's decision to leave Liverpool, several outlets tipped Xabi Alonso as Klopp's successor.

The former Liverpool midfielder made it clear during his recent press conference that his focus was on his current job at Leverkusen.

The former Bayern Munich player has been linked to a return to the club where he won the 2005 Champions League as a player.

What Xavi Alonso said;

Reporters asked him; "Can you rule out becoming the new Liverpool manager next season?".

Xabi Alonso replied, "Honestly… I don't have a direct answer (laughs). I'm happy here right now, that's for sure, and only thinking about Leverkusen".

Speaking ahead of Leverkuden's game on Saturday, January 27, he said; "speculation is normal. At the moment I am really happy here… I’m not thinking about May, I’m thinking about Saturday's game".

"Each day is a challenge, each game is a challenge, and were are on an intense and beautiful journey here in Leverkusen".

"I am not thinking about the next step, I am thinking about where I am right now, I am in a great place and I am enjoying myself. And I think it’s the right place, so that’s all I can say".

"What’s going to happen in the future? I don’t know and I don’t really care at the moment".

Alonso further sang Klopp's praises, saying he has huge respect and great admiration for what the former Borussia Dortmund manager did for the last nine years at Liverpool, and how he did it.

However, according to reports, Alonso has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for one of his former clubs (Liverpool, Real Madrid, or Bayern Munich), should a chance arise.

On the other hand, aside from Alonso, Brighton and Hove Albion coach, Roberto DeZerbi and former Real Madrid coach, Zinedine Zidane are also among other coaches linked to Liverpool’s job.

Bayer Leverkusen waxing stronger under Xabi Alonso

Alonso is now involved in his first title pursuit as a manager, which could hold a good record for him going forward.

Alonso is only in his first full season as a first-team manager but has already made an eye-catching impact at Bayer Leverkusen.

After taking over the German outfit when they were second-bottom in October 2022, Alonso guided them to a sixth-placed finish last season, and the team have become one of Europe's standout clubs this season.

Leverkusen are unbeaten in 27 games in all competitions, winning 24, and have secured a four-point lead over Bayern Munich at the top of the Bundesliga table.

Leverkusen have dropped just six points from a possible 54 points this season and have won every game of their Europa League campaign and German Cup matches.

What is next for Xabi Alonso?

The 42-year-old Spanish International will remain focused on his side next game when they lock horns against Borussia Moenchengladbach at home on Saturday, January 27.