Xavi Hernandez Claims Gavi's Injury Caused Barcelona's Disastrous Performance As He Hints On Leaving The Club

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Xavi Hernandez has claimed that Gavi's injury is the reason why FC Barcelona have been performing poorly and also hinted at leaving the club if the player did not turn a new leaf.

What happened to Xavi Hernandez?

The Barcelona head coach has been under intense pressure in recent weeks, especially after losing 4-1 to Real Madrid in the Supercopa final on Sunday, January 14.

The Spanish outfit have struggled since midfielder Gavi suffered an ACL injury while representing his national team Spain back in November 2023, which has kept him out until the end of the season.

Meanwhile, Barca boss, Xavi pointed to the midfield's absence in particular during a press conference on Wednesday, January 17.

Gavi’s absence has certainly been felt not only in the lack of quality football but especially in the lack of passion and enthusiasm in several of the team's recent games, and coach Xavi also knows that’s the case.

Speaking to reporters, Xavi said: "We lack Gavi's leadership, his heart. The injury to Gavi is a dagger in the heart. He is the soul of the team. That's the reality. The loss of [Marc-Andre] Ter Stegen as well, one of the captains. It's not an excuse, it's the reality".

Following this pressure, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola recently offered his public support, and Xavi also expressed his gratitude in return.

He said; "I thank Pep for his kind words, I have sent him a message. He knows how difficult it is to coach this club. We have to be united. Together we are strong, that's the motto".

Barca’s confused season has been disrupted by several severe injuries to key players since the start of the season. Losing the likes of Gavi, Pedri, Frenkie de Jong, and Marc-Andre ter Stegen for long periods throughout the season has hurt the team’s continuity and their ability to play several consecutive matches together.

Xavi is still looking for the right formula to replace Gavi’s influence, but the two-month without the young midfielder has been hugely troubling as the team cannot show the same passion and the coach can’t offer many tactical solutions to the void that Gavi’s absence creates.

It is safe to say that it's not just Barcelona's poor performances that are cause for concern.

Xavi's side currently sit eight points off leaders Girona in the La Liga table and were again eliminated from the UEFA Champions League group stages this season.

Additionally, the team are facing financial hardship and Xavi also risks losing some of his key players, with star center-back Ronald Araujo the latest to be linked with a move elsewhere.

Xavi hints at leaving FC Barcelona

Xavi Hernandez, who is under intense pressure said on Wednesday he would resign if his squad no longer believed in him following last weekend’s heavy Spanish Super Cup final loss to Real Madrid.

Defensively, the Catalans have struggled this year which is far different to last season’s Liga accomplishment.

They have conceded 22 goals at the halfway stage of the league season after allowing only 20 goals in the whole of the 2022-23 campaign.

Speaking about leaving Barcelona, Xavi said; "The day my players no longer follow me, I’ll pack my bags and leave".

"If I hadn’t won La Liga last year I wouldn’t be here".

"When someone tells me there’s a problem, I’ll leave".

The former Barca captain added; "I love this club. I’m here to bring something to it. If I don’t do it, I’ll go home".

What's next for Barcelona?

The Spanish club will be seen next in action when they face Unionistas de Salamanca in the Copa del Rey round of 16 on Thursday, January 18.

In addition, it is thought that the Spaniard could introduce several La Masia graduates to play that match.