Xavi Hernandez Forced To Take Shocking Decision Following Barcelona's Disastrous Campaign

• Weekly Giveaway for our active users. N50,000 per Week. Do you want to contribute to this community? We are looking for contribution? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing Nigerian forum!
May 8, 2023
Xavi Hernandez has been forced to announce a shocking decision following FC Barcelona's disastrous 2023/2024 campaign.

On Saturday, January 27, the former Barcelona player announced that he would leave the Spanish club at the end of the season.

This statement came in a post-game press conference after his side suffered another 3-5 embarrassing defeat at home at the hands of Villarreal on Saturday night.

Speaking about the decision to leave Barcelona, he said; "I will leave Barcelona in June. We have reached a point of no return. It's time for change. As a Culé, I think that it's time to leave. I spoke with the board and the club today. I will leave on the 30th of June".

"I took this decision days ago. I already knew it. But it’s time to make it public. I think the players could not free themselves up. I don’t want to be a problem for the club, but the opposite".

"Right now, if I think with my head and think about the club, the solution, and the best thing is for me to leave in June, that is how I feel. We have just agreed that with the president (Joan Laporta). We have a brilliant president. He, Rafa Yuste, (sporting director), Deco…everyone is really capable".

"I think this decision will help unblock the team and the mood in here. I just told President Laporta now. We’ve had a meeting, it was a very human conversation, just with common sense. The trust from them is still fantastic".

He added; "But I believe this is the moment to say this. I don’t make my decisions following money, my contract will never be a problem. I just make my choices following my heart. I don’t need anything more".

Xavi spent 17 years as a player at Barcelona, making 767 games and bagging 25 trophies, including eight league titles and four UEFA Champions League glories.

In November 2021, Barcelona named the former midfielder and captain as first-team coach on a contract until the summer of 2024, following the departure of former manager Ronald Koeman.

Xavi was signed by the La Liga outfit after they fulfilled the terms of his contract release from Qatari club side Al-Sadd.

In his first full season as the club’s head coach, he bagged both the 2022/2023 Supercopa de España and the 2022/2023 La Liga title.

However, this season has been underwhelming for Xavi Hernandez and Barcelona.

Barca was eliminated from the Copa del Rey quarter-finals on Wednesday, January 24 after a 4-2 extra-time beating to Athletic Bilbao.

Addressing reporters after the Villareal match, Xavi reflected on his disappointment with how he faced criticism during his moment at the club.

He said; "You asked me many times if I’d be the Sir Alex Ferguson of Barca… the truth is that it will NEVER happen here".

"You guys won’t allow it. Being Barça coach is so difficult. You see how they kill you, criticize you, it affects you".

The 44-year-old also declared that leaving Barca was the best decision for all the parties involved.

He said; "This club needs a change of dynamic". "I’m the most responsible one, so the players will finally feel free now".

He added; "The club will improve with this decision".

What's next for Barcelona and Xavi Hernandez?

The La Liga defending champions, who are currently 10 points behind league leaders Girona after Saturday's result, will be looking forward to bouncing back on Wednesday, January 31 as they take on Osasuna.